Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What to do about a business that takes AMEX, but employees can't accept it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do about a business that takes AMEX, but employees can't accept it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AllanJ
For credit card companies that plaster their stickers on storefronts without notice or permission
Which companies do that?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by codfather
Where I am from in Newfoundland and Labrador, we see that often at gas stations in rural locations.

One place out by my cabin has a sign that shows the gas price per litre if you pay with credit, and the cheaper price if you pay with cash/debit. Now I have noticed it missing as of late so I assume somebody reported this to the credit card companies.
We see this all the time in California, it's legal to do that here.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Where I am from in Newfoundland and Labrador, we see that often at gas stations in rural locations.

One place out by my cabin has a sign that shows the gas price per litre if you pay with credit, and the cheaper price if you pay with cash/debit. Now I have noticed it missing as of late so I assume somebody reported this to the credit card companies.
Actually this is fairly common in the US.

Lots of gas stations offer a discount by cash and their digital signs always reflect it.

What upsets me, however, is pulling into a gas station seeing a lower price and their "cash only" price that is visible doesn't have a similarly visible "cash only" illumination.
84fiero and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by malgudi
We see this all the time in California, it's legal to do that here.
I was just at a conference and they were discussing the issue of adding CC charges separately. The people there said it's currently a state by state issue in the US but thought some point it would be solved and be consistent nationwide.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mtofell
I was just at a conference and they were discussing the issue of adding CC charges separately. The people there said it's currently a state by state issue in the US but thought some point it would be solved and be consistent nationwide.
I certainly hope we never have to pay extra to use a credit card! That would be a step in the wrong direction...

While I sympathize with businesses having to absorb these costs, it is simply a part of the costs of doing business in the first place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I certainly hope we never have to pay extra to use a credit card! That would be a step in the wrong direction...

While I sympathize with businesses having to absorb these costs, it is simply a part of the costs of doing business in the first place.
My friends from Asia always call the price in North America a lie. In Asia you pay what is written, in the West you pay the price, tax, tips and now credit card fees...
Beltway2A and codfather like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I believe that would be the case with this restaurant, but I don't think the fast-food place has anything like this going on. It is in the food court of my local university, so I can't imagine they have many customers wanting to pay with AMEX anyways.
Do you know who runs this food court? University? Foodservice contractor (such as Sodexo, Aramark, or HMSHost)? Small local company?

Unless it's a small business where either the owner or employee is doing bank runs to make deposits and/or get change, cash handling has its own costs that are not as readily apparent as interchange fees.

1. Armored car fees. If you're a small(er) company, this can be expensive.
2. Risk of theft (both robbery and employee theft), mistakes, etc.
3. Employee wages for the time spent counting cash.

Sure, all of these are unavoidable costs, but this just means that handling cash is not "free" and depending on sales volume, can actually cost more than whatever the most expensive interchange fee is on credit cards.

The only time where cash is advantageous is if the business is small (like a sole proprietorship) where the owner is doing all of this and doesn't value their time on an hourly basis.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I've done this by accident - Store had a "we don't accept AMEX" sticker on the machine but I absent-mindedly used my AMEX and realize only as it was processing. Payment went through and I was none the wiser.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I know the merchant fees are considerably higher for AMEX over say Visa/MC.

With this in mind, why would they even accept it if they aren't willing to say that they accept it (or allow people to use it)?

If you won't allow your employees to let people use it, perhaps you just shouldn't be accepting it at all.
Because first, they would prefer you to come up with an alternative form of payment (a different type of card, or cash).
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AS 75K

I agree - I refuse to nickel and dime my customers and just build it into my pricing. When people pay by check or cash it's just a bonus for me.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Well if the cost of cards are too high, I think businesses should increase prices if it's unsustainable. But keep the same price for everyone. I am already unhappy that you pay a different sales tax across the various states, if on top of that, the way you pay is going to influence the final price, than it's chaos.

Ideally, the whole country should move to a single sales tax and all prices on the ticket should be what you have to pay, tax included. But this day will never come, I suppose.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the establishment advertises that they accept AmEx, I insist on paying this way.

Reporting the situation to AmEx can sometimes be effective, or at least you can feel good about having reported the manager's attempts to cheat on the contract they signed with AmEx. IME AmEx is always very grateful that you reported the incident.
Agreed. reporting to Amex is the right response.

I had a thoughtful reply from Amex when I reported a store who refused to take Amex because the item I bought was on sale. A $300 charge.
IndyHoosier, Zorak and codfather like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My funniest example of this was a restaurant telling me they didn't take AMEX, as I tried to pay a check they had handed to me in a check presenter/holder with the AMEX logo on it. "Oh, well we used to take it." "Maybe you should stop using these then?"
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro

My biggest vendor started doing it, and it's something we ($5M business) are considering.
While I have millions of points from our business spend.... I also have a six figure merchant fee expense on the books for accepting credit cards.

I'd rather have $125k in my pocket each year than 5 million miles...
We are considering it - and really, I think more and more places will in the next few years. 1.85%-3.1% on the bottom line can be the difference between a solid year, and a bad year, for most small businesses.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
My funniest example of this was a restaurant telling me they didn't take AMEX, as I tried to pay a check they had handed to me in a check presenter/holder with the AMEX logo on it. "Oh, well we used to take it." "Maybe you should stop using these then?"
"Oh, then you won't mind if I take it home as a souvenir?"
strickerj and Zorak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.