Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Business Edge Card [Canada]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
American Express Business Edge Card [Canada]

I just saw that AMEX was introducing a lower priced business card with a $99 annual fee: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...5S344tif1hlFcQ This could be handy for small business people who don't need all the travel insurance features of the Business Gold card and want something with a lower annual fee.

The number one thing I'm wondering about is if the Membership Rewards points earned on this card can be transferred to airline or hotel programs? There is no reference that indicates this is possible in the card description, so it may be a highly limited version of Membership Rewards. I pulled up a comparison with the Business Gold card (https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e..._cards_sb_view) and I can see that benefit explicitly listed for the Gold card (Transfer points to frequent flyer and hotel programs, including one-to-one to Aeroplanand Avios.) and no mention under the Edge card.

Has anyone seen a clarification from AMEX on this issue? If transfers are possible, this could make the card very competitive with the RBC Avion Business VISA.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
From the T&Cs on the page:
Points are not eligible for transfer to programs that offer airline and frequent flyer redemptions.

Sounds like these are MR Select then as this doesn't exclude hotels.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Thanks for spotting that. Sadly, that makes the card useless for me.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:01 pm
Suspended

one can transfer MR Select points to airlines via Bonvoy. i have a cobalt amex that earns 5x on groceries, food, and related. so $10,000 spend gets 50,000 MR Select which transfers to 60,000 Bonvoy which translates to 25,000 airline points (e.g. aeroplan). there has recently been a bonus that raises that to 32,500 points. or 3.25 per $.
So yes, earning on this new business card can go to airline points in a circuitous route.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:23 am

GCR has $100 cash back on this card right now so it's essentially FYF. Great deal: https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...Business-Edge/

Last edited by mia; Oct 22, 2019 at 11:48 am Reason: Remove referral link
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

Is it possible to self-refer from my Business Platinum to the Amex Business Edge?

Note: I just self refereed from my Business Platinum to the Amex Business gold on 11/19/2019 and was approved. Is there a 90 day limit between the Gold and Edge applications?

Last edited by mia; Nov 21, 2019 at 7:16 am Reason: Cross posted
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by speer1234
Is it possible to self-refer from my Business Platinum to the Amex Business Edge?

Note: I just self refereed from my Business Platinum to the Amex Business gold on 11/19/2019 and was approved. Is there a 90 day limit between the Gold and Edge applications?
Yes, scroll down to very bottom

supported by many DP's on reddit, or RFD
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Replies discussing American Express USA self-referral policy have been removed to reduce confusion.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:49 pm

How long after applying for the Business Gold can I apply for the Business Edge (and self refer).

I applied for the Business Gold 2 days ago (and self-refered). I would now like to apply (and self refer) for the business edge. Is now okay?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:34 am

There is currently a nice signup offer for the Canadian Amex Business Edge (45k, or 55k with a referral).

However, I'm unclear on what the best use of points is with this card. Can the points be used for travel at 1000 points for $10? But then there's no travel insurance, so that's not super attractive.

Where is the sweet spot?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:20 pm

I have now heard that Canadian Amex Business cards have a redemption rate of 1000 points = CAD 10 for all spending, not just travel. Is that correct?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
I have now heard that Canadian Amex Business cards have a redemption rate of 1000 points = CAD 10 for all spending, not just travel. Is that correct?
Answering my own question: Yes, that is correct, except for paying the anual fee with points. The value of points for that is terrible (1000 points for CAD 5.50), so don't do that.

Last edited by sokolov; Aug 4, 2021 at 2:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.