Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does an available Amex credit make your Uber ride more expensive?

Does an available Amex credit make your Uber ride more expensive?

Old Oct 9, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier View Post
...I'm guessing Uber might be using other factors in addition to having the Amex credit in deciding when to inflate their prices.
I have noticed that Lyft prices seem to be a bit less expensive than Uber on my phone's apps. But, again, in an Uber to Uber comparison using phones with and without Amex Plat profiles, there is no difference in price.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:39 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Such "test mode" can be easily identified by any "cheating software", i.e. several phones within feet of each other asking for the same trip. Remember the DieselGate fiasco?
Do you really give Uber that much credit? And even if you do, it should be pretty easy to make it so they can't hack this: Ask for the price on the Amex Platinum phone first (with the other phone turned off if you are really paranoid). Wait a minute and ask for the price on the other phone. If they are stupid enough to inflate the price on the second phone they are just driving business to Lyft.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by stc View Post
Do you really give Uber that much credit?
We should assume that Uber can afford and has substantial programming talent at its disposal, and can likely evade the most amateurish and crude test methods. Recall that the Dieselgate deception was discovered by serious enthusiasts over long term testing, not an amatuer with a crude one-shot test.
Now to an average Uber user, the subject of Uber cheating is likely not very high on the importance list. We just need enough info to make informed decisions. I find that multiple DP's from various regions are very helpful to get the picture. We can use as many of them as possible.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Uber prices fluctuate wildly, from minute to minute. I suspect the is what is going on here, not an Uber "scam".
Adelphos and Statman like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:28 pm

Uber has admitted they use an algorithm that is user-specific to determine pricing:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolem.../#7b7af9cf7365

"which determines what price to deliver based on different variables like your location, time of day, traffic patterns and even your user history with Uber"

So who knows what goes into that algorithm, but it wouldn't surprise me if having a premium card associated with your account impacts the algorithm...
Gig103 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Are we not talking about Uber, the company that used software ("Greyball") to avoid giving rides to law enforcement officers in regions where they weren't authorized to operate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber#E...ent_operations
Gig103 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I most definitely do. As linked above me, Uber admits they have a proprietary algorithm that determines what they "think" you'll pay, and it is unrelated to the actual cost of the fare they are paying the drivers. Uber is a primarily a software company, so I have no doubt they're capable of what OP is finding, and for tracking requests in a similar area. I think both rideshare apps can tell which one I open first (by seeing if the other is already running) before giving a quote.

But in the sense of 'what will someone pay', I would think the algorithm would absolutely take into account that someone with 'free money' from Amex is more likely to use Uber than Lyft, but it would be smarter to make it a few dollars more, not double as was happening to OP.

I will keep in mind the Google Maps tip, though!
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by captaindomon View Post
Uber has admitted they use an algorithm that is user-specific to determine pricing:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolem.../#7b7af9cf7365

"which determines what price to deliver based on different variables like your location, time of day, traffic patterns and even your user history with Uber"

So who knows what goes into that algorithm, but it wouldn't surprise me if having a premium card associated with your account impacts the algorithm...
So this IS a scam - but a legal one, with little recourse by riders who are taken advantage of since the activity is disclosed. Just use Google Maps as your jumping point for the trip, and it will force the Uber app to match that generic price.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Data Pointd

While waiting for my Vietnamese take out, I decided to do a little test:

1. Log on to Lyft and test price for drive home.
2. Log on to Uber and test price for drive home.
3. Minimize both apps
4. Check Google Maps pricing:

Results:

1. Lyft: $10.46 Lyft XL: $18.29
2. Uber: X $7.85 Uber XL: $12.60
4a: Google Maps Lyft: $7-8 Lyft XL: $13-14
4b: Google Maps Uber: X: $9.60 Uber XL: $11-13

It looks like I have found incontrovertable proof that having Amex Benefit causes Uber to provide less expensive rates than Lyft, and even less expensive rates than those shown on Google Maps. Either that, or there are a lot of random walks in the marketplace of ridesharing.

Also, N.B.: Google Maps shows less expensive Lyft rates than the Lyft app, but more expensive Uber rates than the Uber app.
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 10, 19 at 1:30 am Reason: more info

Search this Thread