Delta Amex MQM Boost - will buying gift cards count?

Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Delta Amex MQM Boost - will buying gift cards count?

o.k., so I need to spend more on my Delta Reserve Card to gain the mileage boost. I also want to avoid paying fees... so can I buy no fee gift cards (like Walmart) with my Reserve Card and have that count toward the spending threshold?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
This question was asked a while ago. IIRC, the purchase of gift cards is considered a cash transaction and not counted towards your RDM spend threshold. There was an additional aspect about how the transaction was identified by the seller in terms of identifying it as a gift card purchase and then yet another sub-discussion about how gift card sellers were no longer taking CC's in payment for gift cards. At one point, there was mention that about the only place that allowed a CC for gift card purchases was Simon Malls.

You might get better, up to date info in the Manufactured Spending Forum.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:39 pm

If you buy gift cards at a grocery store how would AMEX know what you bought there??
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If you buy gift cards at a grocery store how would AMEX know what you bought there??
Sometimes the merchant reports a detailed list of your purchases., I think it is called level II reporting.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I know the purchase of Simon Mall gift cards using an AMEX card no longer works for manufactured spend.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:34 pm

I just found this out the hard way after MSing $10k of Simonmall cards and then talked to AmEx CS to figure out why my bonus hadn't posted... ::sadface:: lol. Any other MS techniques for AmEx that I should know of? Thanks!!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
For me, it was getting ahead with my utilities to get $4,000. $1,000 for the next 3 months of electricity, $1,000 for the next 10 months of water, $1,000 for the next two years of natural gas, and $1,000 on a bunch of crap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.