FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   List countries without metal Platinum card. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1989971-list-countries-without-metal-platinum-card.html)

iamjesse Oct 4, 2019 4:39 am

List countries without metal Platinum card.

Recently AMEX has been updating the card design and benefits in pretty much all of its operating markets, yet The Netherlands (and Spain) have been left out for years and still have the outdated design.

I know it doesn't mean much, but this is starting to become a standard now across card issuers and fintech startups that offer a "premium" product.

Is there any reason why AMEX is not updating them? Seemingly there is enough demand...

musical Oct 4, 2019 6:32 am

Originally Posted by iamjesse (Post 31592727)
Recently AMEX has been updating the card design and benefits in pretty much all of its operating markets, yet The Netherlands (and Spain) have been left out for years and still have the outdated design.

I know it doesn't mean much, but this is starting to become a standard now across card issuers and fintech startups that offer a "premium" product.

Is there any reason why AMEX is not updating them? Seemingly there is enough demand...

I have a Spanish titanium centurion card... Not sure about the other card types though.

iamjesse Oct 4, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by musical (Post 31592954)
I have a Spanish titanium centurion card... Not sure about the other card types though.

Yeah I was mainly pointing towards Platinum

therealdre Oct 4, 2019 7:40 pm

To add to that list, Brazil issued Platinums aren't metal

GVA Oct 6, 2019 10:18 am

Swiss cards aren't platinum either.

s0ssos Oct 6, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by GVA (Post 31598850)
Swiss cards aren't platinum either.

I don't think any cards are made of platinum :p

pvgman Oct 6, 2019 9:40 pm

they will likely deploy the new card in the other country in the coming month like they did for the other markets, it didn't all come at once

NLpio Jan 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Netherlands metal

Originally Posted by iamjesse (Post 31592727)

I noticed that Amex NL is changing benefits in April:

Privium Partner Membership: Ook de houder van de extra Platinum kaart kan - zonder extra kosten - genieten van snelle grenspassage op Schiphol t.w.v. € 95. En als u samen reist, heeft u beiden toegang tot de Privium Lounges

De Platinum Travel & Lifestyle Service wordt digitaalmet de Amex Experiences App: de telefonische service en de jaarlijkse Travel Voucher komen hiermee te vervallen;

Stijlvol en sterk:uw vernieuwde Platinum Card heeft nóg meer allure - Voor de vernieuwde PlatinumCard kiezen wij voor een materiaal dat - qua uitstraling en 'feel' - perfect past bij de exclusieve en waardevolle privileges: stijlvol metaal. U hoeft hiervoor niets te doen en ontvangt uw nieuwe Platinum kaart automatisch vanaf 16 april zodra uw kaart aan vervanging toe is.
(You can find this only on the upgrade page not on the application page)

Basically:
  • €150 travel voucher is gone (I’m not devastated as I find it hard to justify using - you have to spend €500 on the portal and it’s generally more expensive than direct);
  • Partner privium access (costs €95) is added for companion platinum card holder;
  • Telephone travel gone (never use it), and
  • A metal card is introduced.
so my questions are:
  1. It says that you will automatically get the metal card upon renewal. I guess I can just ask for a replacement card in May - I’m guessing they won’t mind.
  2. Can I pay for the partner privium now and get reimbursed after my next renewal (like with the main privium)?
  3. Do Amex NL entertain retentions like in the US?

iamjesse Jan 24, 2020 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by tqb (Post 31992003)
I noticed that Amex NL is changing benefits in April:
(You can find this only on the upgrade page not on the application page)

Basically:
  • €150 travel voucher is gone (I’m not devastated as I find it hard to justify using - you have to spend €500 on the portal and it’s generally more expensive than direct);
  • Partner privium access (costs €95) is added for companion platinum card holder;
  • Telephone travel gone (never use it), and
  • A metal card is introduced.
so my questions are:
  1. It says that you will automatically get the metal card upon renewal. I guess I can just ask for a replacement card in May - I’m guessing they won’t mind.
  2. Can I pay for the partner privium now and get reimbursed after my next renewal (like with the main privium)?
  3. Do Amex NL entertain retentions like in the US?

The continued lack of phone service is actually really annoying (not open on weekends for instance) so I wonder where that is going from here... And the voucher was nice, I've only used it for hotels since those were pretty reasonable - really devaluates the product imo. I think it's difficult to maintain presence in the "anti creditcard" epidome that is The Netherlands... So I could see why there is the swift change in service.

Nice to see the Metal card is finally being introduced tho. Maybe next year we'll even get Apple Pay? :cool:

amstotheworld Jan 25, 2020 3:29 am

I find it a huge devaluation that the Travel service over phone seems to be discontinued from April onwards. I regularly gave them a quick call to arrange something.

Does anyone know if they might introduce a chat service like other markets have?

Diplomatico Jan 25, 2020 6:52 am

Originally Posted by therealdre (Post 31595170)
To add to that list, Brazil issued Platinums aren't metal

Add Somalia to that list.

moe8555 Jan 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31992893)
Add Somalia to that list.

Do they even have Amex in Somalia..?