Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Full Sample terms here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

Covered Trip means a period of round-trip travel to one or more destinations other than an Eligible
Traveler’s place of residence at the time of departure where: (1) The Eligible Traveler departs by
Common Carrier to begin the period of round-trip travel; (2) the period of round-trip travel ends when
the Eligible Traveler returns by Common Carrier to the place of departure; (3) the period of round-trip
travel does not exceed three hundred sixty-five (365) days away from the Eligible Traveler’s place of
residence at the time of departure; and (4) the Eligible Traveler charges the full amount of the cost of
transportation by Common Carrier(s) to your Covered Card. The period of round-trip travel may consist
of roundtrip, one-way, or combinations of roundtrip and one-way tickets with Common Carrier(s)
Zorak and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:17 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Well, it's settled then:

Originally Posted by mia

The period of round-trip travel may consist of roundtrip, one-way, or combinations of roundtrip and one-way tickets with Common Carrier(s).
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:23 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Link to terms with cards offering $500/6 hour delay:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...aim_6hours.pdf

Link to terms with cards offering $300/12 hour delay:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...im_12hours.pdf
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:17 pm

A. To get coverage:
You must charge the full amount of a Covered Trip to your Covered Card or in combination with your
Covered Card and accumulated points on your Eligible Account or redeemable certificates, vouchers,
coupons, or discounts awarded from a frequent flyer program or similar program.
Can anyone interpret if that means award tickets are covered or not?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
And I wonder what about roundtrip flights while abroad that do not start/end in the place of residence?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Can anyone interpret if that means award tickets are covered or not?
I'm going to say yes. And it includes gift cards.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I wonder why they make it so complicated. To find ways to deny claims?

Let’s say I buy my outbound flight with my Amex card and my return with Chase UR. A travel delay/interruption occurs on the outbound. Will they ask me for proof of a return that is paid for by Amex card? If so, can I just “buy” a second return and cancel it after filing the claim? Will that be insurance fraud?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I wonder why they make it so complicated. To find ways to deny claims?

Let’s say I buy my outbound flight with my Amex card and my return with Chase UR. A travel delay/interruption occurs on the outbound. Will they ask me for proof of a return that is paid for by Amex card? If so, can I just “buy” a second return and cancel it after filing the claim? Will that be insurance fraud?
1. Maybe.
2. Probably.

Who knows. Is it that big of a deal to use Amex both ways? I guess someone could game it by filing claims for two companies and get double the reimbursement.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
Link for Platinum card: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...rup_sample.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, if you charge a round trip (out and back to the origin by common carrier) to the Amex Platinum and death or sickness of the travelers or a member of one of their immediate families causes cancellation of all or part of the trip, then Amex will reimburse the cost of non-refundable charges, up to $10,000/trip and $20,000/12 months, subject to a number of reasonable conditions.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:05 pm

Here's an interesting term:

"Coverage is limited as follows:

• $500 per Covered Trip; and
• 2 claims per Covered Card per 12 consecutive month period."

So, if you have a delay that causes you to spend money on meals but no hotel expense - do you burn one of your two claims per year on that, or do you save it for when you would need meals and a taxi and a hotel?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:08 pm
ymx

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

So, if you have a delay that causes you to spend money on meals but no hotel expense - do you burn one of your two claims per year on that, or do you save it for when you would need meals and a taxi and a hotel?
Good catch on this. And does the "12 consecutive month period" get triggered upon the first claim, and reset the anniversary of the first claim?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

Where you are seeing that language at? I just clicked on the sample terms for the personal Plat card and that language does not appear anywhere in the sample.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
....sample terms for the personal Plat card ....
There are two documents:

Trip Cancellation or Interruption: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...rup_sample.pdf

Trip Delay:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...aim_6hours.pdf
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Where you are seeing that language at? I just clicked on the sample terms for the personal Plat card and that language does not appear anywhere in the sample.
The language I am referring to is in the second document in post #103 .
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Some of terms strike me. For Trip Interruption, it specifies Economy Class only. And for Trip Delay $500, it seems to be up to $500 for the entire trip and not $500 per eligible traveler. What if there are more eligible travelers on a trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.