Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Amex adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 22, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 31, 22, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SpaethCo View Post
I'm not sure that's the way I'd read section A. To Get Coverage

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html
like I said, Iíd love to be proven wrong - and Iím not in insurance or in law - so definitely not the best authority on fine print.. However, that language is vague at best, and probably gives AIG (I think thatís the insurance provider) the ability to deny. Like I said, I donít know the intent, but Id think if they wanted to cover awards, there is no reason they wouldnít specify that.

Iíd be happy to hear if examples where Amex coverage did cover award travel, but until this becomes more clear, I personally prefer to use my CSR card for travel. Despite giving less points bonus for airline charges, the Chase card, IMO, provides easier to trigger and better insurance for many purposes (though I realize that last part is certainly debatable - depending on whatís more important to you) - and also provides baggage delay insurance, which Amex doesnít and IMO, also seems to be more important these days then say, last year.
Old Sep 1, 22, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
also provides baggage delay insurance, which Amex doesn’t and IMO, also seems to be more important these days then say, last year.
The CSR does provide slightly more accommodating cancellation and delay coverage, but I'm not sure the baggage delay insurance is worth much, and I certainly wouldn't give up 2x extra points on directly booked flights (vs the Platinum) for it. To make a claim you first have to work a claim with the airline, getting a settlement decision there, then run a second claim with Chase to get reimbursement for anything the airline didn't cover but only up to $100/day.

It's one of those things that sounds good in theory, until you work out the value of the time you need to put in trying to make a claim for maybe a few bucks.
IndyHoosier and tstauck like this.
Old Sep 7, 22, 3:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know whether the reimbursable charges must be made on the platinum card? I had an overnight delay (flight paid with plat) and booked myself a hotel that was charged to my bonvoy amex on file. I hadnít considered this might be an issue until well after the fact. Thanks in advance.
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by MTan View Post
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know whether the reimbursable charges must be made on the platinum card? I had an overnight delay (flight paid with plat) and booked myself a hotel that was charged to my bonvoy amex on file. I hadn’t considered this might be an issue until well after the fact. Thanks in advance.
The claim documentation makes it look like this could be an issue. When I opened my last claim they asked if I charged everything to my Platinum card, and the form makes reference to charges being made on your Eligible American Express Card. This is how the Trip Delay Policy defines an Eligible card:

Eligible Card means a U.S. issued American Express Card that is eligible for coverage under the Group Policy.

Group Policy means the Trip Delay Insurance Policy that New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company, issued to American Express Trust, which is the subject of this Guide to Benefits.
Here's what the claim form looks like:

Claim form

Last edited by SpaethCo; Sep 7, 22 at 4:14 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Sep 7, 22, 8:19 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpaethCo View Post
The claim documentation makes it look like this could be an issue. .
The claim form is not binding. Expenses charged to other cards will be reimbursed. Ample discussion earlier in thread. See this post as an example.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Sep 7, 22, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
The claim form is not binding. Expenses charged to other cards will be reimbursed. Ample discussion earlier in thread. See this post as an example.
On my last call with AIG the claims rep kept reiterating that the charges had to be on the Platinum card, so it's good to know that it's more "bark" than "bite."

Last edited by SpaethCo; Sep 7, 22 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 19, 22, 3:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AC 50K, AT Gold, Hilton Diamond, National
Has anyone dealt with Amex Trip Delay coverage while also having another travel insurance plan?

For example, my annual travel insurance only covers $200/day, but I have about $650 expenses. I understand insurers can work together to pay the full amount, but I've never had to do that before? Is it a huge pain?
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
Has anyone dealt with Amex Trip Delay coverage while also having another travel insurance plan?

For example, my annual travel insurance only covers $200/day, but I have about $650 expenses. I understand insurers can work together to pay the full amount, but I've never had to do that before? Is it a huge pain?
I’m going through that at the moment. I had to change a return flight while overseas due to Covid. I made a claim through my other travel insurance policy. It took them 61-62 days to get back to me. I reached my claim limit with that claim. So I called AIG and explained the situation. They were fine with my notification happening after 60 days. I just filled out the claim form, attached all the documentation as well as the explanation of benefits from my original insurance claim. I made it clear that I was just claiming the part that wasn’t covered by my travel insurance. Now I need to wait 4 weeks. Just a bit concerned that I didn’t receive an auto-reply from AIG after I emailed them all my documents. Not sure if that’s normal.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:57 pm

For myself, i am traveling to Orlando next Thursday to Sunday. But this storm is brewing in the Caribbean. if I need to cancel and don’t feel comfortable if it turns into a hurricane and is heading near or around Orlando, would this be an acceptable reason to try to get the trip cancellation and reimbursement started? Would cancelling the trip the day before I leave be ok?
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AC 50K, AT Gold, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
For myself, i am traveling to Orlando next Thursday to Sunday. But this storm is brewing in the Caribbean. if I need to cancel and donít feel comfortable if it turns into a hurricane and is heading near or around Orlando, would this be an acceptable reason to try to get the trip cancellation and reimbursement started? Would cancelling the trip the day before I leave be ok?
No - anticipatory cancellations aren't covered. It would have to be an actual cancelled flight (or other covered reason.)
Statman likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
No - anticipatory cancellations aren't covered. It would have to be an actual cancelled flight (or other covered reason.)
oh ok. So I should just let everything happen naturally. What about the hotel? Should I wait until the flight is cancelled? Would Amex give me the points back I used to pay for more than half of it? The terms of the hotel (Disney Dolphin) state if I dont cancel by tomorrow night by midnight, I will incur a one nights fee plus taxes and fees. I cant cancel that soon since I am not traveling, hopefully, until next Thursday morning. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. :/

Last edited by michael1023; Sep 23, 22 at 6:21 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:41 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
....donít feel comfortable if it turns into a hurricane and is heading near or around Orlando, ....
There is no substitute for reading the benefit terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

There is coverage for cancellation due to Inclement Weather, but the standard is higher than "don't feel comfortable". Bear in mind that airline and hotel cancellation policies may be different in the face of a hurricane than they would be otherwise, but you are more likely to be offered credit for future travel than an outright refund.
Statman and SpaethCo like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
There is no substitute for reading the benefit terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

There is coverage for cancellation due to Inclement Weather, but the standard is higher than "don't feel comfortable". Bear in mind that airline and hotel cancellation policies may be different in the face of a hurricane than they would be otherwise, but you are more likely to be offered credit for future travel than an outright refund.
Yeah, I will most likely have to cancel the hotel by tomorrow afternoon. At least if I cancel before tomorrow at 11:59pm, the Hotel won't charge a one nights fee plus tax. The storm is being predicted to be a category 2 or even category 3 by next Wednesday, 1 day before I travel, with wide ranging bands of rain and wind. I will call Amex tomorrow afternoon after I cancel the hotel and see what my options are as far as credit or a refund etc...If i cancel the flight on Jetblue's website, I think I get travel bank credit?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/23/weath...&utm_term=link

Last edited by michael1023; Sep 23, 22 at 7:00 am
Old Oct 1, 22, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, DL Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I apologize for being dense, but I spent some time trying to parse for the answer in the thread and I'm still not sure: do you still get Amex insurance if you use flight/trip credit from a cancelled flight and charge the difference to your Amex?

Specifically: does flight credits count as a "voucher"? I'm not clear if the "frequent flyer program" bit at the end of the sentence qualifies "voucher".
You must charge the full amount of a Covered Trip to your Eligible Card or in combination with your Eligible Card and accumulated points on your Eligible Card or redeemable certificates, vouchers, coupons, or discounts awarded from a frequent flyer program or similar program.

Search this Thread