Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I just called to open my own open trip interruption claim but was denied. Apparently the original ticketed travel must be purchased after the coverage policy began, which was 1/1/2020. I purchased a ticket in November (using the DL Amex Reserve) for travel 10 days ago to London during the storms. I was rerouted and had to purchase a last-minute train ticket and hotel night, but I guess I'm responsible for those now.

EDIT...I guess I did not see the top banner on the Amex site: "Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance is effective for round-trip purchases made entirely with your eligible Card on or after January 1, 2020."
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Independent
Trip cancellation when I only pay for flights with my Amex

Has anyone had experience with trip cancellation / delay insurance when you only pay for your flights with your Platinum (or other) card? It seems from the T&C that "covered trip" is defined as the flights and that you need to pay for all of it with your card, but I'm nervous they won't reimburse hotel expenses charged to other cards. (On the other hand, I guess some things could be cash only, like visas.)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hkcj
....nervous they won't reimburse hotel expenses charged to other cards. (On the other hand, I guess some things could be cash only, like visas.)
The terms plainly state that they only reimburse expenses which were paid with an eligible American Express card:

We will reimburse you for the nonrefundable amount paid to a Travel Supplier with your Eligible Card if a Covered Loss causes an Eligible Traveler’s Trip Cancellation, subject to the cancellation provisions in effect at the time the Travel Supplier is notified of cancellation.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Amex clearly wants you to have both Gold & Plat
This is not at all clear, at least to me. Why do you think they want this?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by randian
Amex may want you to have both, but they only want you to spend on the Plat. If they do add a same-card charge requirement I think it would almost entirely be motivated by that.
For trip cancellation the expenses they will cover must be charged to the card (flights, hotels). For trip delay the terms are clear that the expenses do NOT need to be charged to the card (as we discussed above) but it is probably best to charge them to the card when possible because apparently the insurance company they outsourced this to doesn't seem to know/read/understand the terms and if you charge them to the card you may not have to bother with providing receipts.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by mia
The terms plainly state that they only reimburse expenses which were paid with an eligible American Express card:
Got it - I missed that because I was looking at the delay terms. I guess I should go and read Chase's too... at least they offer me points on any hotel :-/.

Thanks!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
I recently attempted to lodge a claim with AIG (or New Hampshire Insurance), and I was asked for the policy number for the Trip Delay insurance, does anyone have this?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by OC_Matt
Last week I paid for a round trip on Volaris TIJ-SJD taking off Saturday 1/25 and returning 1/26. I was moved from the 9am to the 6pm because of cancellation due to fog. By the time 6 rolled around, it was also cancelled due to fog. At this point there was really no point in moving forward with the trip as I would potentially arrive and depart on the same day. When I contacted Volaris they said they were not responsible for weather issues and there would be no refunds. This seems absurd as the flight I paid for never happened so why should I cover their loss? Anyway, I am trying to determine if I should dispute the charge or take advantage of this new delay/cancellation policy from my AMEX Platinum. Any thoughts?
I decided to do both the dispute and the insurance claim to ensure I didn't lose time if one were to be denied. So far the dispute is sticking. I also received reimbursement from AIG via a mailed check. I plan to hold the check for 90 days or so while watching for any change in the dispute. Then I'll shred it as long as the dispute holds.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by learnedpaw
I called this am to make a trip delay claim (connecting flight to destination cancelled due to weather, rerouted to nearby city, had to purchase hotel at overnight city and then car rental the next day to get to my final destination). Was told on the phone that the "covered trip" language means that I needed to pay for the added expenses with my Platinum card. Pretty sure that is not the case with the insurance offered by CSR (I don't have a CSR so that statement is based on blogposts rather than actual experiences). In any case phone rep seemed pretty confident I would not be able to recover for my rental car and meals because I did not charge them to my Amex. The hotel I put on my platinum because I was trying to take advantage of an Amex offer - will be interesting to see if Amex offer credit gets clawed back if the hotel is reimbursed in which case I wasted a fair amount of time for a mere $40 or so.
OK, here's the definitive data point. AIG granted the claim in full - claim consisted of hotel bill charged to the Platinum card plus car rental and meals that were charged to non-Amex cards. Front line reps on the phone have it wrong when they say everything must be charged to Platinum card to be eligible for reimbursement. Not positive when I sent over the claim but pretty sure time from email submission to check receipt was three weeks or less.
GUWonder, Statman, Gasolin and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
OK, here's the definitive data point. AIG granted the claim in full - claim consisted of hotel bill charged to the Platinum card plus car rental and meals that were charged to non-Amex cards. Front line reps on the phone have it wrong when they say everything must be charged to Platinum card to be eligible for reimbursement. Not positive when I sent over the claim but pretty sure time from email submission to check receipt was three weeks or less.
thank you for the follow-up! I just booked a hotel last night and did use the Platinum foregoing my 3% from the Costco Visa just to be sure (the flights are already on the card). I may just use my Costco card for the other hotels.

I think the point has been made but it only makes sense since not everyone takes American Express.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Thank god their adjusters can read the terms, even if their CSRs can't. Glad to hear it works, was getting worried this benefit was not actually going to be honored by AIG as written.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:40 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
How would the new trip cancellation coverage apply to this situation:

I flew to California and upon arrival an enormous trade show (normally over 80,000 attendees) was cancelled due to COVAD-19 risk which was to start the next morning. My hotel ended up charging me for five nights of rooms for myself and colleague, stating the cancellation policy allowed that. All rooms were charged to AMEX cards that have the new coverage.

Orange County had declared state of emergency earlier that week, so they could open up federal funds for anticipate future needs around the virus.

Would this coverage apply for a refund of the hotel rooms?

the specific situation doesn’t fit neatly into what is outlined as covered losses:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Insurance.pdf

Last edited by ymx; Mar 7, 2020 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Give it a shot - a definitive data point would be very helpful to all of us given the huge amount of Covid travel plans fallout.

Originally Posted by ymx
How would the new trip cancellation coverage apply to this situation:

I flew to California and upon arrival an enormous trade show (normally over 80,000 attendees) was cancelled due to COVAD-19 risk which was to start the next morning. My hotel ended up charging me for five nights of rooms for myself and colleague, stating the cancellation policy allowed that. All rooms were charged to AMEX cards that have the new coverage.

Orange County had declared state of emergency earlier that week, so they could open up federal funds for anticipate future needs around the virus.

Would this coverage apply for a refund of the hotel rooms?

the specific situation doesn’t fit neatly into what is outlined as covered losses:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Insurance.pdf
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Another data point : I filed a trip delay claim in mid February, when my evening flight was canceled due to weather and I got rebooked to the following day. The expenses I claimed were a meal and a room, both paid for with my Citi premier. I included a copy of my Citi statement showing the charge. I had no other communication with AIG, and I got a check for the full amount last week.

also, FYI, the AIG claim form does say:
”Documents Required:
Charge receipt of the insured Trip Costs and/or the reasonable additional expenses purchased on the eligible American Express Card”
and later “Details of unused Insured trip costs and additional expenses purchased with your American Express® Card & Refunds / Credits (continue on a separate sheet if necessary)“, so it’s no surprise the agents are claiming the expenses need to be on the Amex.
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Last edited by murphy; Mar 10, 2020 at 5:57 am Reason: Added language from claims form
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:41 am

Curious what everyone thinks about the trip cancellation insurance now that a national emergency has been declared.

I have a trip to the Bahamas scheduled next week. Flying with Alaska and JetBlue which have been great with their own cancellation process, but also have 2 flights with bahamas air that isn't willing to allow cancellations.

On top of that vrbo is being intentionally vague as well as a hotel in nassau for one night that doesn't want to respond.

Amex travel insurance would be nice here. I wouldn't expect it last month, but now there's a state and local declared emergency here in CA and the national declared emergency. It feels like that changed things, but I suppose it depends on how textual Amex wants to be with its terms and an unforeseeable condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.