Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Ticket? Last Minute Ticket? No Amex Canada lounge benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

Preface: this post pertains to travel on normal, confirmed tickets, and not to airline employees on passrider travel or other standby tickets.

Increasingly, carriers are selling their lowest fares as some form of Basic Economy. Frequently with these tickets, seat assignments are only made at the gate.

Likewise, if you purchase a ticket on a heavily booked flight, the only seats left to assign might be those held back for Elite members or Blocked/Airport Use etc.

Amex has now advised that at both their own lounges, as well as all third party lounges such as Plaza Premium, Apsire etc. - that if you don't already have your seat assignment on your boarding pass by time you pass through security and try to enter the lounge - that you will be denied entry to the lounge.

Anyone whom is waiting on a seat to be assigned at the gate will no longer be permitted their Amex lounge benefits.

When flying on carriers on which I have status, this is not usually an issue as I can almost always get a preferred seat assigned prior to check-in. However for non-status travellers or when travelling on a carrier on which one doesn't have status - it's not that uncommon these days for there to be no standard Econo seats to assign and gate assignment is required.

It's certainly unfortunate that Amex's recent lounge entry changes have effectively barred people from entering whom travel on Basic Economy tickets, or whom for whatever reason are having to wait for seat assignment at gate.

Perhaps the vast majority of Amex Platinum card holders are always travelling on a carrier on which they have elite status so this is a moot point? But surely this issue has to have impact to a much broader audience. As much as 40% of the seat map for Economy Class these days can be held back as restricted, so for everyone waiting on a seat assignment - perhaps to one of these seats - what happens to them?

The response I received from Amex is that one should go the gate and ask for your seat to be assigned and then go back to the lounge. When a gate agent shows up about 50-65 minutes out, and then when you finally see them, and when you get past the eye rolls as they haven't even started processing upgrades or seats yet - even if you get your seat assigned, with 50~ so minutes to boarding, the "lounge benefit" is largely moot at this point. So not much of a "solution" from Amex here.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Have you got a link or anything to this new policy?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I just checked online and found this text. I checked Archive.org and it is the same as of July 2019. Bolded text below is mine.

Note: The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans. Passengers holding standby tickets and non-revenue standby passengers, including airline or industry employees traveling on discounted tickets, are not eligible to utilize the lounge unless they have received a boarding pass showing a confirmed seat or zone assignment for the flight for which they are on standby.
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/...nturion-lounge

I would argue with whomever tried to deny me entry that "Zone 9" / "Main Cabin 3" / "Basic" / etc. all would qualify as a zone assignment and that it is not a standby ticket. It's a shame that you were stopped and I would call Amex customer service to report them. And shame them here.

Or don't buy BE?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Most of the time I haven't gotten GA to assign seats ahead of time on basic / X class fares before.

Just one time, probably due to some quirk since we were checking alcohol, I was able to get seat assignments at the luggage drop off on an X fare.

If this gets widely enforced by Amex it would definitely suck, and diminish the value of their card.

Maybe the airlines & Amex are collaborating on this to get higher revenue out of the same product.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
They haven't accepted stand-by for some time. Awaiting seat assignment is not standby which is usually indicated as SBY on the BP. Are there any reports where folks were turned away?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I would argue with whomever tried to deny me entry that "Zone 9" / "Main Cabin 3" / "Basic" / etc. all would qualify as a zone assignment and that it is not a standby ticket. It's a shame that you were stopped and I would call Amex customer service to report them. And shame them here.

Or don't buy BE?
I don't fly BE often, but back a year or so ago I had a Delta BE ticket and at the Centurion Lounge the woman scanning my BP gave it a 2nd look and I just said it's a confirmed ticket, I just don't get my seat until the gate. She said OK and that solved the issue and let me in.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103

Or don't buy BE?
This. Basic Economy has to be the biggest scam of all time. When you add the checked bag fees (because no carryon allowed) you end up paying as much as a normal Y ticket, but you don't get to pick your seat and you risk the airline losing/damaging your bag. Oh and you board last unless you have status, in which case the status trumps the ticket.

On UA the difference was exactly USD60 the one time I flew BE....vowed to never book BE ever again.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by stupidhead
This. Basic Economy has to be the biggest scam of all time. When you add the checked bag fees (because no carryon allowed) you end up paying as much as a normal Y ticket, but you don't get to pick your seat and you risk the airline losing/damaging your bag. Oh and you board last unless you have status, in which case the status trumps the ticket.

On UA the difference was exactly USD60 the one time I flew BE....vowed to never book BE ever again.
Sometimes the difference between Basic Economy and Economy is many hundreds of dollars. I’ve seen plenty of examples in the $300-500 range for last minute one-ways. Avoiding BE isn’t a solution here. Amex’s access rules permit access to confirmed passengers.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:54 pm

I have had a slightly different problem, but close enough to share. I have an Amex card issued in Japan with Gold medallion status. For some reason,whenever I travel with Aeroflot through Moscow, half the time I have trouble accessing the lounge. They have asked for my Gold Medallion card, which no longer shows an expiration date. This last time we had lounge passes issued from the Marseille airport we were returning from to Tokyo.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Reading the text it does NOT say you must have a seat assignment:

Note: The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans. Passengers holding standby tickets and non-revenue standby passengers, including airline or industry employees traveling on discounted tickets, are not eligible to utilize the lounge unless they have received a boarding pass showing a confirmed seat or zone assignment for the flight for which they are on standby.
If you parse this text, you need a seat or zone only if you are (1) Passengers holding standby tickets or (2) a non-revenue standby passengers, or (3) an airline or industry employees traveling on discounted tickets,

As long as you arent in 1, 2 or 3, you shouldnt need a seat assignment on the BP. You have 'confirmed travel plans', just not a seat assignment.

Just sounds like AMEX is being lazy/stupid.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Poster

OP here, I was denied at a partner lounge (not PP), the Amex Canada Lounge Benefit at the Aspire Lounge YYC. The Aspire manager said that Amex doesn't pay them unless there's a seat assignment. Nothing about zones.

Amex Supervisor confirmed this new policy is being implemented more rigidly now, but is sending me some kind of form to provide feedback for the Ombudsman review.

I went to gate and got seat assignment and was able to "enjoy" 8-10 mins in the lounge before walking back to my gate for boarding.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Have you got a link or anything to this new policy?
To be honest, I'm not sure so much "policy change" as interpretation. Amex Canada Supervisor call-back chatted with me about the policy today, and how a seat assignment is required in order to be a confirmed ticket for purpose of being admitted.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The policy is clear. There is no seat assignment required. Consider WN where there are no seat assignments at all.

There are plenty of situations in which there is no seat assignment on non-BE tickets. Specifically, almost all carriers hold some seats out to the gate in order to deal with handicapped and small child situations. Flights are also overbooked. In all of those instances, one holds a confirmed seat, simply not a specific seat.

If you cannot get satisfaction, raise it to Amex and then complain through the appropriate consumer agencies.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
The policy is clear. There is no seat assignment required. Consider WN where there are no seat assignments at all.

There are plenty of situations in which there is no seat assignment on non-BE tickets. Specifically, almost all carriers hold some seats out to the gate in order to deal with handicapped and small child situations. Flights are also overbooked. In all of those instances, one holds a confirmed seat, simply not a specific seat.

If you cannot get satisfaction, raise it to Amex and then complain through the appropriate consumer agencies.
What consumer agencies regulate airport lounge access policies?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What consumer agencies regulate airport lounge access policies?

Flyertalk.gov

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.