Delta Reserve - clawback possible?

Old Sep 12, 19, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Delta Reserve - clawback possible?

I got my Delta Reserve in April of this year. Met the MSR in May (2nd statement closing since the first statement closed like 6 days after I got the card). Bonus Skymiles posted in May. It was the $5k spend in 3 months (due date would've been 7/2/19)

Fast forward to today:
I switched insurance companies and Liberty Mutual did *not* send a reimbursement check this time (like they have in the past), instead, they issued the credit to the Delta Reserve.

I had a total of a little over $5727.00 spend within the first 3 months.
The refund was like $870, so I'm not sure if that's within Amex's clawback period?
I have about 3 more weeks before this statement closes, so I can put some spend on the card to reduce the credit, so I'm still "over" the $5,000. I just wasn't sure if the minute a credit hit, would they clawback? Or is it based within the statement cycle?
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:25 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If the insurance premium payment happened to be the transaction that put your account over the bonus threshold there is a high probability that American Express' system tagged it. Hard to say if a refund for less than the full amount will be matched, but I would try to spend down the credit to bring the total back up above the threshold amount.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're worried, it's easy enough to get your spend up to the threshold after the refund has been deducted from your spending. I would assume that AmEx will indeed deduct the refund and claw back the miles. Otherwise it's far too easy for someone to buy stuff and return it, or buy fully refundable plane tickets and cancel them just to get the miles.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both!

I was wondering if I could just put some spend on the card to negate some or all of the refund and be OK.
Well, we'll find out.
Fortunately 3 weeks of groceries and other things should cover that.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Couldn't you request Liberty mutual to mail a check?
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happyvoid View Post
Couldn't you request Liberty mutual to mail a check?
I don't know. This was handled through the insurance agent when switching policies.
When I had my auto with Liberty Mutual I faxed in the form (just basically says you're cancelling and here's the new insurance effective date with company XYZ so they don't report you incorrectly to NY DMV). I was shocked actually that they sent a check then.

The homeowners was through GEICO even though it was Liberty Mutual, so perhaps that's why?

Anyway, too late now, as the credit was already issued a few days ago. Was just a little surprised that they seem to do things inconsistently, but perhaps it was the GEICO through Liberty Mutual that made it behave that way. GEICO's auto policy refund went to the credit card as well (different card).
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
Thanks both!

I was wondering if I could just put some spend on the card to negate some or all of the refund and be OK.
Well, we'll find out.
Fortunately 3 weeks of groceries and other things should cover that.
This is what I would do for sure - Amex would be in a position to clawback and you want to make sure you're over the spend threshold for any review that commences.
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the insurance company knows your credit card number, it's probably cheaper for them to issue a credit than to cut a check and mail it to you.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If the insurance company knows your credit card number, it's probably cheaper for them to issue a credit than to cut a check and mail it to you.
Not to try and venture off topic too much, but you're absolutely right. My wife is an underwriter for a homeowners insurance company and was a 'service assistant manager' for a while. It was estimated that every check (draft I guess was the official term) cost the company $25-$50.
luv2vacay likes this.

Search this Thread