Member Since... Recognition?

Old Sep 11, 19, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Member Since... Recognition?

I have been a member since 2004 and as a result of those fifteen years I was thanked by AX with... an e-mail. I did not expect anything so ot is nice to be acknowledged in some way but does it get better as you get older?
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Not that I personally know of. I've been an Amex member since 04 too and I either didn't get that email at all or I did but thought it was trash so that's where it went (I normally only open my statement and payment reminders from them.).
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm 70 years old and have been an Amex member for 51 years! Shortly after my 50th anniversary I received a box with a nice pair of Tiffany champagne flutes.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Originally Posted by Barcky View Post
I'm 70 years old and have been an Amex member for 51 years! Shortly after my 50th anniversary I received a box with a nice pair of Tiffany champagne flutes.
Wow! Could you share what your main/oldest card(s) are? I've been a member since 2003, so still a ways to go.

In fact, I'm not even sure I got an e-mail last year for the 15th...
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Member since 00 and just a thank you when I call.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Barcky View Post
Nice! My dad's been a member since 1969. I wonder if AmEx will acknowledge that. I used to have a card on his account and always got a chuckle when a customer service agent would thank me for being a member since 1969, which was before I was born
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:16 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
This thread from 2013 includes a Poll showing the distribution of Member Since dates:

Member Since?
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've been a member since 1986, and I don't recall ever getting any kind of recognition (mail or email). I did recently needed to call customer service on my platinum card but I don't remember if I was acknowledged as a member since '86.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:24 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
I've been a "member since" 2000 which is strange because it was not continuous. So far no recognition of my membership.

My first Amex card was a "Costco Platinum" which looked quite similar to regular Platinum cards, but did not include the usual perks like lounge access.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
My first Amex card was a "Costco Platinum" which looked quite similar to regular Platinum cards, but did not include the usual perks like lounge access.
I had that card too, but in the non Costco version. It had a flat 1.5% rebate after a pretty steep annual threshold. It stayed around for a long time, but did get forced replaced to an Everyday Cash card.

It truly was a not real AmEx Platinum card.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think there were different cards in the 1970s, just the standard green charge card. I want to guess that the gold charge card, with the bank line of credit, was introduced around 1980 and I would guess Platinum in the mid 1980s, with Centurion of course later.

The competitors for AmEx were other T&E cards, namely Diners Club and Carte Blanche.

The first Bank of America credit cards appeared in about the aarly 1970s, starting in California, although of course some stores (such as higher standard full service department stores and some smaller merchants) offered revolving charge cards by at least about 1960, and probably permitted revolving credit accounts and store accounts without cards earlier than that. By the mid-late 1970s, BofA cards became VISA cards and MasterCard appeared soon after.

Europe had Eurochecks, which were basically guaranteed checks that couldn't be cancelled when signed with the number from one's card, by the mid 1970s, although the credit worthiness standards seemed higher than for VISA and MasterCard. However, the comparison this way is somewhat unfair since Europeans had Eurochecks while Americans were using credit cards, and this was reflected in which cards tended to be accepted where, with Europe being much more cash based during this period. Regular personal checks never caught on in parts of Europe as bills tended to be paid by direct bank transfer, card, or maybe a Eurochecks. Yet in England everyone seemed to have an "overdraft" (checking plus small unsecured line of credit) account.
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:59 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I don't think there were different cards in the 1970s, just the standard green charge card. I want to guess that the gold charge card, with the bank line of credit, was introduced around 1980 and I would guess Platinum in the mid 1980s, with Centurion of course later.
1958 = Green
1966 = Gold
1984 = Platinum
1987 = Optima (credit card)
1999= Centurion

Last edited by mia; Sep 15, 19 at 12:33 pm Reason: Correct Optima introduction date.
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The first Bank of America credit cards appeared in about the aarly 1970s, starting in California
Earlier than that:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...-visa-1273.php

In fact, A&M issued a BankAmericard promo LP in 1969 called Music Box (it had a BankAmerican logo in the upper left corner on the front), which was distributed far outside of California (we got one, I think at a bank, in Arlington, Virginia, at the time).

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Musi...release/709869
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Also the subject of a 99pi episode:

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-fresno-drop/

(besides the written article there's a longer audio podcast on the page that may not be immediately obvious)
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mia View Post
1958 = Green
1966 = Gold
1984 = Platinum
1994 = Optima (credit card)
1999= Centurion
Minor correction: the Optima appeared in 1987.

Search this Thread