Wiki Posts
Search

Member Since... Recognition?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Minor correction: the Optima appeared in 1987.
Thank you.Correction made. I copied some of those dates from a Wikipedia article. I'll have to look to see if the article is inaccurate or if I misread.

Also, while the Gold card was introduced in the mid-1960's, I believe MSPeconomist is correct that the co-branded versions marketed through banks dated to the very early 1980's, after which MasterCard and VISA adopted reciprocal rules which illegally blocked their card issuing banks from issuing cards on other networks.

Last edited by mia; Sep 15, 2019 at 5:38 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you.Correction made. I copied some of those dates from a Wikipedia article. I'll have to look to see if the article is inaccurate or if I misread.
I remember getting an Optima very soon after it was introduced, and I correlated that with other events to remember when I got it.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Not going to necropost a followup to a 2019 post: "I'm 70 years old and have been an Amex member for 51 years! Shortly after my 50thanniversary I received a box with a nice pair of Tiffany champagne flutes."

But I also fit this demographic and can confirm they're still sending out the TIffany flutes, that retail for $200-250 a pair. Few million miles of corporate T&E passed through that card, so they've made a couple $ off me.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Not going to necropost a followup to a 2019 post: "I'm 70 years old and have been an Amex member for 51 years! Shortly after my 50thanniversary I received a box with a nice pair of Tiffany champagne flutes."

But I also fit this demographic and can confirm they're still sending out the TIffany flutes, that retail for $200-250 a pair. Few million miles of corporate T&E passed through that card, so they've made a couple $ off me.
My 25 year anniversary is in just two years. Wonder if they'll send me anything?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
I’ve been a member since 1990 and held a centurion card since 2002 - and have not had any communication around relationship time - clearly got some way to go !
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:45 am

Been 51 years with AMX spent 100's of thousands on my cards - never got a gift from them but great service over the years
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
(UK) never received anything but all the time I have had to contact Amex via chat or phone over the last few years, the call/chat is always ended by the advisor with something on the line “thank you for being a member for XX years”
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:11 pm

My grandpa hit the 50 years recently and got Tiffany champagne flutes (USA). They made him sad because he remembered how old he is 🤣.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:11 pm

As others have said, my wife's uncle received a pair of champagne flutes at his 50 year recognition.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Is this gift applicable to Canadian cards or just US?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Is this gift applicable to Canadian cards or just US?
Canadian, member for 30yrs now, i don't recall ever getting anything (significantly memorable) from AMEX...
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Canadian, member for 30yrs now, i don't recall ever getting anything (significantly memorable) from AMEX...
I’ve been a member even longer. While I get thanked verbally for my loyalty, nothing else.

However, when AC refused to refund my refundable fare early in Covid, an Amex manager helped me with a strategy that got a full refund including the penalty (P fare) within a few days. I was grateful for that.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

41 years.....started with a Gold card under my father's account. I was so proud of that because they were somewhat scarce in 1982. No gift even though I have had an AmEx card for the entire time.

OT...in 1980 I used to work at Bloomingdales NYC. All the cards were black except for a handful of VIPs whose were gold. When I ever I got one of those cars ( usually handed to me with the name side down) I knew I was dealing with someone special. One time a small elderly woman handed me the card...not recognizing her...of course wondering who she was....I turned the card over....it said " Jacqueline Onassis". I always assumed it was her housekeeper buying her pastries.

Last edited by david55; Apr 2, 2023 at 2:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.