American Express Corporate Membership Rewards

Old Aug 30, 19, 1:48 am
Original Poster

American Express Corporate Membership Rewards

I am starting a separate thread to discuss Corporate MR. These points are earned via Amex Corporate Accounts at the company level.
There is limited information on FT, googling is a bit difficult, and Amex own websites generally speaking do not work very well. They clearly have been investing in the personal and small business products from a technology standpoint.

My understanding is Corporate card accounts have specific and designed policies. That being said there are some standards.

Generally speaking individuals employee card holders (with corporate permission) can pay $90 annually and have their points earned into a personal MR account, which can be spent via normal channels.
Any points earned on the Corporate accounts by cards that the Corporation pays for go into a company level MR account.

I am looking for discussion on spending these corporate MR. Currently it seems it is limited to gift cards, statement pay with points, as well as pay for travel with points, at fairly unfavorable exchange rates. Transfer to airlines or hotels, doesn't seem to be supported. Conversations with CSR at Amex, indicate that there is a difference with these types of points. (which doesn't make that much sense to me)

Any experience/insight would be appreciated. I just found 300K CMR points that I didn't know were there.... (good problem to have)
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:23 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The company can choose if and how to accrue points:

Choose the rewards program that works best for your company:

The Membership Rewards® Program from American Express
Reward employees by allowing them to receive and redeem points individually on their enrolled American Express® Corporate Card*

Corporate Membership Rewards® Program from American Express
Consolidate points from multiple enrolled Corporate Cards and use them to do more for your business*
Your company is in the second program, which apparently does not include airline or hotel transfers. Read more here:

https://business.americanexpress.com...rnMore-Rewards
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks these infographics are helpful. I am very comfortable with the difference, heavy user of personal/small business membership rewards.
and own the company so, am aware of the choices in configuring the corporate program.

With ~50 cards on corporate account, I have to choose to spend 90$ to enroll each individual card member, that chooses not to enroll themselves in the first program (i give them the option to pay the 90$ them selves if they want the points, which interestingly go into a standard personal membership rewards that have higher value and flexibility)
It doesn't make sense to spend $4500/annually to enroll all of them, especially if their spend is not high, and the points earned have less value (due to the redemption options

For instance if an employee would be projected to spend $10,000 in a year, that would equate to 10,000 CMR points, TPG valuation of 2.0 cents per Point - $200 in value
the problem is the limitation in how they are able to be used. I would have to think that CMR would be more like 1.0 cents per point, so $100 in value.

so using this logic, if an employee would be projected to spend over $10,000 in a year, it would be worth it to spend the 90$ per card, at a corporate level to capture the points.
but if they spend less than 9,000, then it would be a losing proposition. (most of the spend is employee travel, other than airlines (that is on a central card, which gets 4X))
Old Feb 25, 20, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I just noticed today as I was looking through some statements from last year on my corporate Amex, that they are LOWERING the fees to earn MR points on corporate accounts! Shocker! I wonder if too many people were foregoing the points. Corporate Gold card fee waived, and down from $90 to $55 for Corporate Green, effective 3/6/2020. I hadn't seen that posted here.

Old Feb 26, 20, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
So I just noticed today as I was looking through some statements from last year on my corporate Amex, that they are LOWERING the fees to earn MR points on corporate accounts! Shocker! I wonder if too many people were foregoing the points. Corporate Gold card fee waived, and down from $90 to $55 for Corporate Green, effective 3/6/2020. I hadn't seen that posted here.

If you kept reading you would have also noticed that your company can also decide whether you get 1 point per dollar or 1 point per 2 dollars now.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jja34-1 View Post
If you kept reading you would have also noticed that your company can also decide whether you get 1 point per dollar or 1 point per 2 dollars now.
Oh yikes, that was actually before the fee change in my statement, and I didn't even notice it. Got mixed in with all the liability and arbitration garbage.
I guess we'll see what happens...
Old Feb 27, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
It seems to me there wouldn't be very many companies that would give employees rewards (MR's) for spending company money. It sort of sends the message: The more company money I spend as an employee, the more I get.... It's just not a typical company goal to encourage employees to spend more.
Old Feb 27, 20, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
It seems to me there wouldn't be very many companies that would give employees rewards (MR's) for spending company money. It sort of sends the message: The more company money I spend as an employee, the more I get.... It's just not a typical company goal to encourage employees to spend more.
But this is peanuts compared to how the airlines have changed their programs. I get 1 (or 1/2) MR point for every additional dollar I spend. But I can get anywhere from 5 to 11 DL/AA/UA miles for every extra dollar I spend on airfare.

If you have good travel & expense policies in place and a robust measurement/monitoring/ reporting system, it shouldn’t be that big of an issue.
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1985156-american-

Not exactly the same, but similar to the OP's situation in 2015.

Some weirdness is going on with my AMEX Corporate Card account. The green one. Like OP, I had the choice of a no annual fee card that doesn't earn rewards. My other option was a card where I pay a $90 annual fee and earn rewards. That's the one I have always had. From 2011 through 2018, I've been charged a $90 fee on September first.

Last week a credit in the amount of $72.52 showed up. Named "MEM RWDS ANNUAL PROGRAM FEE CREDIT"
Today a charge shows up in the amount of $55. Named "MEMBERSHIP REWARDS ADJUSTMENT"
I went back to 2019's September statement and see I was charged twice on September first...Once for $90 named "MEM RWDS ANNUAL PROGRAM FEE" and once for $55 named the same.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:46 am

Some funky and maybe messed up math proration from them implementing the new program fee change to $55/year that was effective Mar 6.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: