MR Travel portal Vs Chase Travel Portal??

Old Aug 23, 19, 11:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,044
MR Travel portal Vs Chase Travel Portal??

How do these compare?

Does AMEX not show all the flights?

I recently made reservations using both. Chase gave me lowest fare that I was able to find. But AMEX did not + a small cash fee. Overall I paid 30% more.

You can also use Expedia and use MR points - so there are many ways here.

Any tips on using these?

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 23, 19 at 6:00 pm
sciconf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,282
Well for starters, the value of an MR on Amextravel is $0.01 unless you have a business platinum or centurion card (where it is still $0.01 each but you get 35% or 50% back after booking). Depending on your Chase card, a UR point is worth as much as $0.015 each.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:00 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,044
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Well for starters, the value of an MR on Amextravel is $0.01 unless you have a business platinum or centurion card (where it is still $0.01 each but you get 35% or 50% back after booking). Depending on your Chase card, a UR point is worth as much as $0.015 each.
Thanks but I am matching $ to $
I saw $70 fare on Priceline or somewhere - but lowest price on MR Travel was different airline for $100 - not all airlines are available on MR Travel?

For Chase, whatever I found online, I bought it for the same $ amount on Chase.
sciconf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,282
Are you looking to pay cash or use points? What I"m saying is that I could see Chase advertising $100 as 7000 UR points if you have a Sapphire Reserve. That sounds like $70 but isn't the same thing.

But apples-to-apples, I can tell you that for hotels anyway, AmexTravel.com doesn't always match Expedia or Orbitz. But I almost always book flights direct with the airlines these days because I'm tired of online travel agencies (OTAs) only advertising basic economy until the last page, so i don't have experience with that side of the business.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:50 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,044
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Are you looking to pay cash or use points? What I"m saying is that I could see Chase advertising $100 as 7000 UR points if you have a Sapphire Reserve. That sounds like $70 but isn't the same thing.
.
That would be a step after finding the price.

When I search it gives me prices. Only when I purchase, it will show me options. Hopes this makes sense. So I am comparing $ to $ (fare on priceline for the same exact flight or carrier web site)

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 23, 19 at 4:56 pm
sciconf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 5:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,282
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
That would be a step after finding the price.

When I search it gives me prices. Only when I purchase, it will show me options. Hopes this makes sense. So I am comparing $ to $ (fare on priceline for the same exact flight or carrier web site)
It does make sense now I just wanted to be sure for the post. And yeah, I do believe inventory can vary with each travel agency. For example I once booked with Expedia which sold me a mixed fare on AA (N out, T back) when other sites wanted me to buy N both ways (higher fare). But with hotels, I've seen Amex charging more in "like for like" rooms (prepaid, breakfast, same bed configuration). Maybe enough of their loyal customers aren't price sensitive?
Gig103 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 5:59 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,044
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
It does make sense now I just wanted to be sure for the post.
- I was booking one way fare
- Don't they both (MR & Chase) use Expedia now?
sciconf is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:47 pm
  #8  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,569
Chase Travel is operated by Expedia
Amex Travel (USA) is operated by Orbitz (owned by Expedia).
mia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread