FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX ICC questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1983858-amex-icc-questions.html)

vincentjm Aug 21, 2019 1:40 am

AMEX ICC questions

Hi guys!

So a while back I got the gold amex here in Switzerland. However, amex cards are not issued nor handled by american express, but instead by a local company called swisscard, which are terrible in my experience. And the rewards program is miles behind other country's offerings. Oh, and it's $450 a year.

Anyways, since I often travel to the US I was thinking about getting the platinum International Currency Card in US Dollars. And the 2 lounge access passes aren't bad either.
How hard is it to get one? It states you need an annual income of at least $65k. I just barely make 65k a year, but I have a lot of money in other assets, such as properties. Do they still ask your bank for a reference or will they just pull up your amex history and standings?

Also here an important question: Is the platinum ICC card metal? :D

Cheers, Vincent

JFSV Aug 22, 2019 6:36 am

No, the platinum ICC is not metal, at least as last month.

Sohan Jan 22, 2021 2:20 am

Has this changed as of yet?

Carq Jan 22, 2021 5:50 am

Originally Posted by vincentjm (Post 31438845)
Hi guys!

So a while back I got the gold amex here in Switzerland. However, amex cards are not issued nor handled by american express, but instead by a local company called swisscard, which are terrible in my experience. And the rewards program is miles behind other country's offerings. Oh, and it's $450 a year.

Anyways, since I often travel to the US I was thinking about getting the platinum International Currency Card in US Dollars. And the 2 lounge access passes aren't bad either.
How hard is it to get one? It states you need an annual income of at least $65k. I just barely make 65k a year, but I have a lot of money in other assets, such as properties. Do they still ask your bank for a reference or will they just pull up your amex history and standings?

Also here an important question: Is the platinum ICC card metal? :D

Cheers, Vincent

If you travel often to the US, why don't you try to obtain the "real" Amex Platinum? It may take a year or more, but sure it's worth the investiment.
Open a checking account on Bank of America, get a secured credit card (mail forward address in the US needed, also a US phone number, which can be virtual), after 6 months get a simple Amex card (no SSN required, just your passport), wait for another 6 months, if your FICO Score is good, you may be approved for the Platinum. And if you are not, there is a lot of very good options on Amex portfolio, as the Green, Gold, Aspire, Surpass, Delta Platinum...

GordonMacPherson Jan 22, 2021 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Carq (Post 32986558)
If you travel often to the US, why don't you try to obtain the "real" Amex Platinum? It may take a year or more, but sure it's worth the investiment.
Open a checking account on Bank of America, get a secured credit card (mail forward address in the US needed, also a US phone number, which can be virtual), after 6 months get a simple Amex card (no SSN required, just your passport), wait for another 6 months, if your FICO Score is good, you may be approved for the Platinum. And if you are not, there is a lot of very good options on Amex portfolio, as the Green, Gold, Aspire, Surpass, Delta Platinum...

omg you just answered ALL my questions!

Thanks!

jags86 Jan 24, 2021 8:05 am

I’d also add that what the Swiss AMEX cards have in annual fees and lack in rewards may be more than made up by the comprehensive suite of insurance benefits they offer. Especially for a Swiss national who frequently travels to the United States. The Platinum card offers $3,000,000 of medical insurance when abroad. The goal card offers $10,000. Both cards offer $5,000 per hospital stay. Just walking into an American hospital without insurance might cost you $5,000.