Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wife has forgotten her UK Plat card. Need Centurion lounge access tomorrow in MIA.

Wife has forgotten her UK Plat card. Need Centurion lounge access tomorrow in MIA.

Old Aug 19, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ (*A) Gold

So we are on family vacation with me, wife, 2 kids and parent in laws (6 in total). (Wife is my additional cardholder on my platinum account)

The idea WAS that I would sign kids in (8 & 11 years old)…and wife would sign her parents in. Realised yesterday that she hasn't brought her physical card with her so I contacted Amex UK to ask them to email the MIA lounge to confirm her eligibility.

They have replied saying that they can't do this from the UK as they don't have a phone number or email address that they can contact their own lounge with!

Does anyone have any ideas that might help please
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Ask the lounge attendants to call AMEX UK (if necessary) to verify your wife's AU status. Offer use of your own phone if the long distance charges are an issue.

(Who knows, perhaps they can see her in their own IT system.)
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
Or, if she happens to know the card #, they may be able to enter it manually instead of swiping it?
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:46 pm

Programs: Mid Tier AF - UA Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy something
You could try the Amex app as they were working to implement a way to generate a QR code that would replace the need for a physical card. Article below shows how to check
https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-a...lounge-access/
Old Aug 19, 19, 9:13 pm

I'm sure Amex really wants you to keep the card in your wallet and they would have an interest in not allowing you in without the physical card.

It might work, but I can see why they would say no.
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Amex won't call the lounge, the lounge won't call Amex - at least in my experience in LAS about 6 years ago (using Amex Plat ICC)

I was in a similar situation, however I was able to give the date & time that I had entered the LAS Centurion lounge a couple of weeks before, which the lounge agents were able to verify and they let me in

I knew my CC number and previous to getting access, I suggested that they could enter it manually, but they said they needed the physical card
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If your wife lost her AMEX UK card and needed a replacement immediately in the US, how soon could they get a replacement to her?
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
If your wife lost her AMEX UK card and needed a replacement immediately in the US, how soon could they get a replacement to her?
Should be 24 hours? At least that's what the Dutch card promises. I would imagine if you do this, and get an email from AMEX proving you "lost your card' and a new one is on the way, they would let you in. Maybe you can even arrange to have it shipped to the AMEX lounge?
Old Aug 20, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
Or, if she happens to know the card #, they may be able to enter it manually instead of swiping it?
I was able to enter the Hong Kong lounge by just providing my CC number, no physical card present.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
I was able to enter the Hong Kong lounge by just providing my CC number, no physical card present.
How were they able to verify that you have a valid card? I'll give that a try in a couple of months at HKG then.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Centurion lounges seem able to see whether you've ever used the lounge before. If so, this might help someone to enter without the physical card.

OTOH, I'm surprised that someone wouldn't carry their Plat card all the time.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The Centurion lounges seem able to see whether you've ever used the lounge before. If so, this might help someone to enter without the physical card.

OTOH, I'm surprised that someone wouldn't carry their Plat card all the time.
How far back can the Centurion lounge see previous visits? I was in HK Centurion Lounge in February 2019.

I think the UK AMEX Platinum have a FTF so it's kind of useless for foreign spend.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How far back can the Centurion lounge see previous visits? I was in HK Centurion Lounge in February 2019.

I think the UK AMEX Platinum have a FTF so it's kind of useless for foreign spend.
Not other Centurion lounges, just the one that you're entering, and IME the record goes back a couple years at least. They still verify that the card is currently valid in their computer system. Usually the receptionist will comment if you've visited that particular lounge previously or alternatively give you information regarding what's available in the lounge.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Not other Centurion lounges, just the one that you're entering, and IME the record goes back a couple years at least. They still verify that the card is currently valid in their computer system. Usually the receptionist will comment if you've visited that particular lounge previously or alternatively give you information regarding what's available in the lounge.
Yea and unless I'm mistaken, they swipe the card to verify. So if OP doesn't have a physical card on hand, how will the front desk rep verify that?
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How were they able to verify that you have a valid card? I'll give that a try in a couple of months at HKG then.
The front desk person punched my card number into her computer and I assume the system was able to verify that it was a valid Amex plat card. I had never used the HKG lounge before either - just happened to be able to list off the card number by heart because I online shop too much

Search this Thread