Your Opinion: 2x AX Plat, Plat + AU, Plat + Reserve

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Your Opinion: 2x AX Plat, Plat + AU, Plat + Reserve

My wife needs a new business card (sole proprietor, not LLC/Corp), and while the 2x earning of Blue Business sounds like it makes the most sense, there generally isn't a lot of expenditure so we'd rather her have access to Skyclubs for 'free' instead of $29 per visit as a guest on my card.

Prior to Amex fixing the gift card workaround for Delta, my plan was to have my wife get her own Plat card. But now I'm not even sure I will be able to use my $200, I wouldn't count on her doing so either. I might add her as an AU for $175 to my account too which is about '6 visit's to the Skyclub as a break-even, and the bonus that the points from her business charges would be lumped in with our personal balances (she currently has no Amex/MR of her own).

Then I realized that if she mostly travels with me, PP, Escape, and Centurion lounges are still free to her as a guest on my Amex. So maybe we should go for a DL Reserve? Yes $450 > $175, but on renewal she'd have a BOGO F ticket in her name which I think we'd have little problem using. No need for the MQM bonuses.

So yeah it's going to be her decision in the end, but I'm just curious what others would choose.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:09 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
...bonus that the points from her business charges would be lumped in with our personal balances (she currently has no Amex/MR of her own)....
I expect that she uses a card that earns some type of rewards?

If she opts for Delta Reserve she will earn Skymiles rather than Membership Rewards points. Is that where you want to go with your points? (I am finding Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles better than Skymiles for domestic Delta flights.)

Adding her as an Additional Cardholder on your Platinum card opens up the ability to transfer to her frequent flyer accounts.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by mia
I expect that she uses a card that earns some type of rewards?

If she opts for Delta Reserve she will earn Skymiles rather than Membership Rewards points. Is that where you want to go with your points? (I am finding Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles better than Skymiles for domestic Delta flights.)

Adding her as an Additional Cardholder on your Platinum card opens up the ability to transfer to her frequent flyer accounts.
Actually she only uses a business debit card now, which I'm trying to get her away from. The expenses aren't typically enough that she's worried about the reward points, this is more a balance of lounge perks in our household, and if she should earn MRs into our family account as an AU, or get DL baggage in economy (if we ever miss FO again), plus the BOGO F tickets once a year upon renewal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.