Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat MR to ElAl airlines Points -- redemption with Israeli address

Old Aug 15, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM

Based on this blog post: https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...ets-to-israel/, if you have an Israeli address linked to your Amex Plat your redemption to ElAl and yield to Matmid points, is much higher. it claims: "Platinum cardholders in Israel get a significantly better deal on this transfer 6 Membership Rewards Points to 1 Matmid point. If you have an address in Israel and plan to regularly redeem points for El Al flights, the Amex Platinum Card is truly the way to go." Does anyone have any data points or info on this? I called Amex MR center and they had nothing. If I can add an Israeli address to my Amex Plat/Amex account, would that auto-allow for this? Or am I ready this information wrong?

Did anyone encounter this too or have experience?
thanks so much!!
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:21 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I believe the article is referring to opening and using an American Express card issued in Israel, not to simply changing the billing address on a card issued in the USA.

https://he.americanexpress.co.il/

https://rewards.americanexpress.co.i...?Category=2941
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:28 am
Original Poster

I believe you're correct. In that sense, I'm wondering if there is any way/machanism to call the ElAl redemption line (their Israeli website refers to Israeli number 1800-507-507) and manually redeem the points that way using a US-Based Amex?
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:33 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I think not. Each country has its own Membership Rewards program with different earning and redeeming rates and partners. You would need to be earning according to the terms of the Israeli program to redeem at their rates.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

yes.. that might be the case. I am trying to verify with ElAl's CS line to see if there's any workaround. if there is, it's pretty massive since it means you can book a RT biz class ticket with LY for ~30K MR
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Originally Posted by SeattleiteTelavivian View Post
yes.. that might be the case. I am trying to verify with ElAl's CS line to see if there's any workaround. if there is, it's pretty massive since it means you can book a RT biz class ticket with LY for ~30K MR
You're wasting your time. Different cards/countries/legal entities altogether. It takes 240 shekels to earn 6MR (which can be transferred as 1 El Al point, among other things), and that's only if you have the Plat and switched over to the 40 shekel/point program.
Gasolin likes this.

Search this Thread