Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Gift Cards Never Work at Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Amex Gift Cards Never Work at Hotels

Not so much Delta related, but the question has to do with the Amex gift cards as a choice for Delta Voluntary Denied Boarding.

I received a $800 Amex gift card from Delta a few weeks ago, and tired to use at a couple hotels as payment when I checked out.

Both times it was declined despite the amount being less than what's on the card. Again, I didn't give at check-in so it wasn't authorized for a higher amount, just tried to make a payment upon check-out.

Has anyone else had experiences trying to redeem Amex gift cards at hotels and not being successful?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sending this to the American Express forum for better response.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
.... declined ....
When you contacted American Express, could they see that a transaction had been attempted and provide a reason for the failure? Card approval isn't a binary Approved/Declined process, but some clerks treat anything other than Approved as Declined, instead of providing additional details.

Last edited by mia; Sep 2, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
When you contacted American Express, could they see that a transaction had been attempted and provide a reason for the failure? Card approval isn't a binary Approved/Declined process, but some clerks treat anything other than Approved as Declined, instead of providing additional details.
Nothing ever showed up as a transaction on their end when I called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.