Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (2019) Membership Rewards Summary [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Because it's not as if the value of the service purchased was any different. It's a commercial gesture, on a service that has been already paid for.

I get it if you return objects or whatever can be returned as you don't own it, but the service I received for the price doesn't disappear just because the service company decides they want to do me a commercial favor.
So how is Amex supposed to differentiate between a refund for an error or a courtesy refund?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Because it's not as if the value of the service purchased was any different. It's a commercial gesture, on a service that has been already paid for.

I get it if you return objects or whatever can be returned as you don't own it, but the service I received for the price doesn't disappear just because the service company decides they want to do me a commercial favor.
I believe in most cases if a merchant credits you back against a transaction, for whatever reason, Amex refunds the merchant all or nearly all of the ~2-3% merchant fees which the merchant had paid for the original transaction, and which play a major role in funding the rewards Amex gives to customers. (In some cases if an intermediary processor like Square is involved, it sounds like Square doesn't always refund the merchant, but I believe Amex still refunds Square.) So Amex literally has no money from the refunded portion of the transaction with which to give you rewards.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
I believe in most cases if a merchant credits you back against a transaction, for whatever reason, Amex refunds the merchant all or nearly all of the ~2-3% merchant fees which the merchant had paid for the original transaction, and which play a major role in funding the rewards Amex gives to customers. (In some cases if an intermediary processor like Square is involved, it sounds like Square doesn't always refund the merchant, but I believe Amex still refunds Square.) So Amex literally has no money from the refunded portion of the transaction with which to give you rewards.
Ok, I think that part makes more sense indeed. If they also lose their commission, then I suppose it changes the deal. Merchant seem to force the credit card refund but things like tax refunds could probably be refunded in cash and/or another credit card then since the option is offered.

Last edited by Gasolin; Oct 2, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Can't stand the new "Summary". How's this math for you?

And of course, I always love seeing my pending points for "null" card(s):

Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't had any pending points post since 9/25 and I've had many charges since then.

Previously, I showed pending points as soon as a charge finalized.

Did Amex change the behavior of the portal? Are others seeing pending points since 9/25?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bgriff
As far as I can tell, that seems to be how it works for me on the Platinum card, but the Gold card is different -- Gold card points move to Points Available on Payment after statement closes, then I pay, but then the points disappear from Points Available on Payment and don't become earned until a day after the next statement closes. (I.e., the way MR points used to work, before "points accelerated" came about, at least on some cards.)

Or is that just me?

It's also possible that I'm just a month off in my Gold card points tracking but I'm pretty sure not, and if I am, I think that would have meant I lost a month of points somewhere along the line, but the current interface makes it impossible to be sure. I might need to stop using my Gold card for a month to track what happens with the points.
After monitoring my points activity a little more carefully I think I was wrong in this post. It appears that both my Gold and Platinum cards do now work using the "points accelerated" logic whereby the points from a statement become earned as soon as that statement is paid for.

So I still feel like I lost a month's worth of points at some time during this transition by Amex, but more likely I just didn't notice when some of my points came in earlier than expected during the transition from the old timing system to the current system.

Now that I understand how it works, I am less offended by the current MR display. I do still like the idea of having a clearer tracking of actual changes in the available points balance, but the current Amex display system is essentially the same as the system Chase uses (other than the wrinkle of Amex requiring payment before points are credited and not just giving points when the statement closes), and I have never minded Chase's approach. I'm still not totally sure that the "pending" points counter is accurate -- mine currently seems to be giving me credit for a flight which I refunded a day after purchasing -- but it seems to work out correctly once the statement closes.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:53 pm

Business Blue+ - when do MR post?

So, I got this Business Blue+, had one statement close a week or so ago, and no points are anywhere in sight. Not pending, nada.
When do these points usually post?
When I reach the initial spend - when will the bonus points be posted?

(This is sort of important, as I am counting on these to book an award ticket)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:19 pm

Amex usually issues points after the second statement or after your payment clears. But if you ask they will do a one-time points advance to post them right away.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by tr3k
When do these points usually post?
American Express has recently changed the way MR points are posted and displayed, and that is the topic of this thread. Base points now move from pending to posted (available to redeem) after the statement closes -and- payment is made. If you are not seeing any pending base points, it is likely you are not looking in the right portion of the site.

New account bonus points are different. How soon they post after meeting the required spend depends on your own history with Membership Rewards. If this is your first card, look at the terms of the offer and understand that the clock starts when the statement is issued, not when the qualifying transaction posted.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:37 am

- Never mind the first question. Found pending points. Can't say I understand the logic (there are pending points and then 1/2 of those are "Available on payment" - I already paid this statement, yet none are posted).

- When you mention the "clock" - do you mean the 3 months for the qualifying bonus offer?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:51 am
mia

- When you mention the "clock" - do you mean the 3 months for the qualifying bonus offer?
No. New account bonus offers typically include a sentence like this: points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account 8-12 weeks after you have met the eligible purchase requirement. The weeks are counted from the statement on which you make the qualifying spend, not the date of a specific transaction.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
No. New account bonus offers typically include a sentence like this: points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account 8-12 weeks after you have met the eligible purchase requirement. The weeks are counted from the statement on which you make the qualifying spend, not the date of a specific transaction.
I see. I was certainly hoping that the "8-12 weeks" is a formal limit, and they'd be more generous and post sooner. Unfortunate, as in 3 months it will be too late for this trip.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:11 am
mia

I see. I was certainly hoping that the "8-12 weeks" is a formal limit, ....
It is, but if this is your first MR card it is also likely to be the actual timeframe. Doesn't hurt to ask to have the bonus posted sooner, in particular if you have spent considerably more than the requirement -and- and have continued spending.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Being stingy with point posting is not a good way to ensure "continued spending". I have comparable non-Amex cards that deposit points at statement time without delay. Don't take this as a rant, but if this is how the card is - it will go to the bottom of the stack shortly (irrespective of the bonus, which I'll just use some other time).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I see. I was certainly hoping that the "8-12 weeks" is a formal limit, and they'd be more generous and post sooner. Unfortunate, as in 3 months it will be too late for this trip.
Points normally post much sooner than the 8 - 12 week mark. I met my spend limit on the personal Gold Card on 9/11 and my 50k bonus posted 9/13. I got an email on 9/17 letting me know that I've met my goal and my bonus points will post in 8 - 12 weeks but obviously I already had them.

I should note that this is by far not my first MR card, however this has been my experience since my first MR card opened many years ago. If I met the spend and all other conditions, the bonus posts automatically within a few days. Don't recall ever waiting the full time stated in the terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.