HELP! Amex Closed All My Accounts

Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mark Kazakov
.... AU user paid via his bank account and one of the checks they deposited bounced which caused non-sufficient funds.
Problem is, the additional cardholder does not have an account with American Express. You do, and you are fully responsible for all the activity on the account. Have you applied for a new card, as American Express suggested?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I appreciate your response. Let me clarify a few things...

My balances were always paid and was only reaching it's limit on one card.
I never paid via 3rd party check. The AU user paid via his bank account and one of the checks they deposited bounced which caused non-sufficient funds.
The late payment was once in the last 8 years by 2 days.
Then it give it some time, and then get back into the Amex game some time down the road without the same AU. And next time also try to avoid getting close to the borrowing/charging limit on any given account.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:08 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
You still haven't given us any clue as to who your AU's might be. Work colleagues, family members, good friends? (Perhaps not so good now!) It makes a difference.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by 1P
You still haven't given us any clue as to who your AU's might be. Work colleagues, family members, good friends? (Perhaps not so good now!) It makes a difference.
Ah, I was just going to return to this.

Importantly, is there a known, genuine relationship between you and any of the AU's (current for former)?
Have you had other AU's? Many of them? This could flag a particular problem...
And if not family, why not have separate accounts for them, perhaps guaranteed (even so, that is also risky in more than one way, with Amex and with your own credit).

The fact that you have not disclosed any hints about your relationship with the AU's (and the history there) makes me think there is indeed some sort of problem there, at least from the Amex perspective.
These could be very important factors...

GC
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
pretty obvious OP is running some kind of scam, collecting reward points/miles by getting cards on behalf of others who couldn't qualify on their own and adding them as authorized users
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 1P
How does it make a difference?

I know personal Plat and Centurion card account members where the AUs may include one, two or all of those above-mentioned type of people as AUs and yet they have had no problems beyond a financial review at times — this even on accounts where the AU spend was in the millions of dollars range while the primary account holder’s spend was in the 1-8% range of what an AU was spending on the account.

Amex may have some concerns that go beyond being just about which of the above-mentioned type of relationship that the OP has had with the AU.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by GUWonder

How does it make a difference?

I know personal Plat and Centurion card account members where the AUs may include one, two or all of those above-mentioned type of people as AUs and yet they have had no problems beyond a financial review at times — this even on accounts where the AU spend was in the millions of dollars range while the primary account holder’s spend was in the 1-8% range of what an AU was spending on the account.

Amex may have some concerns that go beyond being just about which of the above-mentioned type of relationship that the OP has had with the AU.
See the post above yours.

And that is only *one* type of "scam" that might be going on...
If the AU's are really all people who are truly well known to OP and have a genuine relationship, other than the desire to be or to have AU relationship, then that is fine, EXCEPT for the fact that at lest one AU was not really trustworthy.
(I also have a bit of trouble with each AU paying "own" amex bills. Does Amex actually credit the account that way?)

GC
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Well, I'm not sure even if the OP is genuine, or some kind of troll.

This is a brand new account and the OP has been very good with FT posting. He is trying to hide something.

I won't post to this thread any more.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

To the OP,

You know what solves this issue 100% of the time? Using a debit card, with money you (and others) actually have. You wouldn't be in this mess using a debit card.
vilntrav likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by cslovacek
To the OP,

You know what solves this issue 100% of the time? Using a debit card, with money you (and others) actually have. You wouldn't be in this mess using a debit card.
Or use Amex as the type of card it originally was: A CHARGE card, *not* a "credit" card... meaning you paid off the entire amount each month. Not interest charges, no ongoing "credit", other than during the "current month" until that bill was paid in full.

And of course, one can treat ANY "credit" card that way, too, and thus save the very hefty interest charged on consumer credit cards.

GC

Last edited by mia; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:19 pm Reason: Remove speculation.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please do not speculate about Mark Kazakov's authenticity or motivations. Post only if you have something helpful to add.
friedablass and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:54 am

I never paid via 3rd party check. The AU user paid via his bank account and one of the checks they deposited bounced which caused non-sufficient funds.
Let me also clarify, because you still don't seem to understand. What you've described above is you (this is your account, you are responsible for it) paying your Amex bill with a 3rd party check and it bounced. That's how Amex sees it because that's how it is, and it's a really big deal to banks. Again, this is where the disconnect lies in your thinking.
nwflyboy, nancypants and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I can't get past a Secondary Authorized user charging a Quarter of a MILLION dollars a year to the Op's Amex, for Personal Reasons??? that's some High Finance to this Ol' Roadtriper
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP,

The bounced check is the last straw. Even on very normal accounts AMEX is VERY SENSITIVE on payment being honored each time, a bounced payment would be a serious red flag in its system. It is the only issuer demanding payments first before posting its own currency Membership Reward points to the account, in the 2nd statement until the very recent change.

The fact that your AU cannot meet payment because one check they received is bounced causing insufficient fund - signals your AU relying on incoming funds to cover outgoing funds - that their financial health may not be robust - and you dont seem to be stay on top of such? given you being the primary account owner ALWAYS are responsible on everything charged on the account?

Having "interesting" AUs have long raised red flags in AMEX system when the AUs have unusual behaviors - in your case, excessive disputes. Then on one of your cards it is the AU primarily using said card, to the tune of 20 to 25K a month - why can't the AUs get their own cards and have to go thru you? They are not US residents? They have credit issues that they cannot get their own cards? Why would the AUs pay their own balances and NOT you? Why you have NO overseeing on how your AUs behave? What are the nature of these AUs?

A lot of questions can be asked by the reviewers each and every time your accounts are being flagged. The bounced payment is just the last straw.

The only thing you could do now is to immediately pay off all outstanding balances, then write a concise and honest letter to the Executive Office and hope for the best.
nancypants and hhdl like this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
See the post above yours.

And that is only *one* type of "scam" that might be going on...
If the AU's are really all people who are truly well known to OP and have a genuine relationship, other than the desire to be or to have AU relationship, then that is fine, EXCEPT for the fact that at lest one AU was not really trustworthy.
(I also have a bit of trouble with each AU paying "own" amex bills. Does Amex actually credit the account that way?)

GC
Yes, AMEX allows AUs to pay the balances on their AU cards. We are AUs to each other in our household - under our own log in we can see the ability to pay the balance on the cards that we are the AUs. Though we always pay from the primary accounts, using the pull method from AMEX side. But the ability is there.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.