Is it safe for me to cancel my Amex Bonvoy card now?

Old Aug 4, 19, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Is it safe for me to cancel my Amex Bonvoy card now?

I received the Amex SPG card back in February. Got the 100k Marriott point bonus.

I want to get the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit card to get the 50k sign up bonus.

I understand I must first cancel my Current Amex Bonvoy card and wait 30 days before applying for the Chase card (per the below)
  • are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of Marriott Bonvoy™American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express);
Do you think Amex will claw back my bonus since I am cancelling within a year? I've been actively using the card, so its not like I abandoned the card once I got the bonus.

Anyone cancel the Amex and get the Chase card recently?
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Here are the terms for the existing American Express personal Bonvoy card. The terms specifically mention closing within the first 12 months as an example of abuse, misuse or gaming. The terms do not mention retracting points already awarded, but they do mention closing other card accounts -and- we know that this type of behavior can block the ability to earn bonuses on other American Express products.

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit points to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
AFAIK, Amex doesn’t have access to your Marriott account. They cannot clawback points. However, they may or may not consider you an undesirable customer. YMMV.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
I wouldn't cancel any Amex card within 12 months of opening it under any circumstance given their current view. You could be buying yourself a one way ticket to popup hell. In addition to what mia pointed out, why on earth would you consider pissing off Amex over a measly 50k Marriott points?
Old Aug 5, 19, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I wouldn't cancel any Amex card within 12 months of opening it under any circumstance given their current view. You could be buying yourself a one way ticket to popup hell. In addition to what mia pointed out, why on earth would you consider pissing off Amex over a measly 50k Marriott points?
To save $95 and to get 50,000 points?
Old Aug 5, 19, 9:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
But are you really saving $95? You could always cancel after a year is up and not pay the renewal fee. and 50k Marriott points? What's that even worth? ~$300-500?

In your situation I would not cancel an Amex card under a year, especially with this pretty bad value proposition. But hey, you do you I guess. I've given my 2 BONVoY points of opinion on the topic
Javier1704, dw and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:43 am

Saving $95 is incorrect as you can wait the full 12 months and still not pay that fee. Just know that you are likely forfeiting any potential American Express signup bonus for the foreseeable future to get 50k Marriott points now instead of a few months from now. That's a terrible tradeoff. I implore you not to do this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
Saving $95 is incorrect as you can wait the full 12 months and still not pay that fee. Just know that you are likely forfeiting any potential American Express signup bonus for the foreseeable future to get 50k Marriott points now instead of a few months from now. That's a terrible tradeoff. I implore you not to do this.
Will Amex really shut you down if you cancel a single card inside 12 months? My wife accidentally got approved for 2 SPG business cards (now marriott) and I was thinking of cancelling one since she certainly didn't need 2 accounts.
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
Will Amex really shut you down if you cancel a single card inside 12 months? My wife accidentally got approved for 2 SPG business cards (now marriott) and I was thinking of cancelling one since she certainly didn't need 2 accounts.
They won't shut down your existing accounts, I never wrote that. But you will be flagged as ineligible for the bonus every time you look to apply for any Amex card in the future and they could claw back your past signup bonus (depending on the card).

It's pretty simple: under no circumstances should you cancel a less than 12 month old Amex card. Full stop.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not save $95 because the first year fee has already been paid and is a "sunken cost", i.e. non-recoupable. On the next renewal you have 30 days between the AF is billed and the date to cancel with full refund. All you get now is the 50K Marriott pts, at the cost of any future AMEX sign up bonus.

As several have mentioned, the 50K Marriott pts is a very poor trade off value - especially hotels have tons of alternatives or rather, substitutes for the nights the 50K Marriott pts could "buy".

Unless you are very very sure that you will NOT want any AMEX cards of Any Kind in the future, regardless the genre or sign up bonus, you dont want to cancel an AMEX card within the first 12 months especially not only this is written in the T&Cs but AMEX also has the system to detect the abuse with appropriate action.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Will Amex really shut you down....

They won't shut down your existing accounts, I never wrote that..
American Express wrote it: We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us, but shut you down might also refer to blocking future bonuses.

I don't think we have any reports of accounts closed for 12 month violations, but we do have reports of posters who are not eligible for bonuses. It's hard to know for certain if 12 month violations are the proximate cause because American Express cites only a list of activities, not specifics. In any event there is no compelling benefit to closing an account early, unless you are up against the 5 card limit and urgently need another product.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
American Express wrote it: We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us, but shut you down might also refer to blocking future bonuses.

I don't think we have any reports of accounts closed for 12 month violations, but we do have reports of posters who are not eligible for bonuses. It's hard to know for certain if 12 month violations are the proximate cause because American Express cites only a list of activities, not specifics. In any event there is no compelling benefit to closing an account early, unless you are up against the 5 card limit and urgently need another product.
OK. Well in my wife's case it would seem pretty severe to blacklist her from bonuses if we had closed one of the accounts, since Amex somehow opened two duplicate cards for her from a single application.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:32 pm
mia

OK. Well in my wife's case it would seem pretty severe ....
What is the benefit to closing the account? Weigh that benefit against the possibility that American Express' automated system has no sense of context. - a closure is a closure, and the amount of effort required to override the system if it does cause a problem.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 1:05 pm

It's pretty simple: under no circumstances should you cancel a less than 12 month old Amex card. Full stop.
OK. Well in my wife's case...
"Under no circumstances" includes your wife's case.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
They won't shut down your existing accounts, I never wrote that. But you will be flagged as ineligible for the bonus every time you look to apply for any Amex card in the future and they could claw back your past signup bonus (depending on the card).

I totally agree with you. I'm not sure why the OP wants to take that kind of risk, but if he wants to be the data point, then by all means go ahead.

Search this Thread