Is it safe for me to cancel my Amex Bonvoy card now?

Old Aug 12, 19, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
I received the Amex SPG card back in February. Got the 100k Marriott point bonus.

I want to get the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit card to get the 50k sign up bonus.
No, it is not safe.

There's nothing guaranteeing that you'll get the 50000 point bonus. Are you below 5/24 (no more than 4 total credit cards opened in the past 24 months at any banks)? If not, Chase will happily deny you for any credit card of theirs.

Next, Chase and Amex see other's cards through Marriott, but how accurately they see those dates is not certain. So if Marriott doesn't know yet that you've cancelled your SPG card, you may get denied the Chase bonus for that reason.

So is it worth putting yourself in Amex's "popup hell" just to maybe get a 50000 point bonus?

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 12, 19 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:01 am

Cancel Bonvoy Brilliant

I have so many points that I donít think Iíll ever need to spend $300 in a year at a Marriott so the reimbursement is useless. I wanted to cancel before my card anniversary but when I called the rep said that by doing that Iíll forfeit the 100k point sign up bonus I got last year. Has anyone else heard of this??
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:18 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You must keep the card open for 12 months to protect the bonus. The renewal fee typically posts in the 13th month. Wait until the fee is billed, then ask for a retention offer or downgrade or close.

Will you redeem points for incidental expenses such as meals, drinks, parking?
Old Sep 29, 19, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You must keep the card open for 12 months to protect the bonus. The renewal fee typically posts in the 13th month. Wait until the fee is billed, then ask for a retention offer or downgrade or close.

Will you redeem points for incidental expenses such as meals, drinks, parking?

Ok. So it sounds like if I cancel a couple weeks after the card anniversary I can avoid the fee and hopefully still be eligible for future card bonuses?
Old Sep 30, 19, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Pbhatnagar View Post
Ok. So it sounds like if I cancel a couple weeks after the card anniversary I can avoid the fee and hopefully still be eligible for future card bonuses?
That should work. Wait til the AF posts and then call and cancel. The AF will be refunded.

However, AMEX does not like customers that cancel cards. Neither my wife or I can get their cards now since we've opened and canceled so many over the last 10 yrs or so. Proceed with this thought in mind.

Search this Thread