FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Question: Holding 2 Co-Branded Cards in the same family? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1981449-question-holding-2-co-branded-cards-same-family.html)

diesteldorf Aug 3, 2019 2:01 pm

Question: Holding 2 Co-Branded Cards in the same family?

I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer and I am hoping someone can offer

I currently have 4 Amex credit cards and 2 Amex Charge Cards. I've read reports online that Amex has a 5 CREDIT CARD limit for most customers, so I should have one slot open for a new credit card if I wish.

I already have the Amex Hilton Aspire and am able to utilize all of the various credits to make yield positive value and offset the annual fee.

The Hilton Surpass card has a historically high signup bonus---130,000 Hilton points + a free weekend night and Hilton is already my chain of choice because of my Diamond status via the Aspire Card.

I am considering applying for the Surpass card. However, I am concerned that after the first year, it'll be redundant, since I already hold the Hilton Aspire card. I generally prefer to keep my cards long term and don't like to cancel cards after the first year. However, it won't make any sense to pay the $95 annual fee of the Surpass.

I know I could always downgrade the Surpass to the no-annual fee card, but it would be effectively be a "dead" card since it would be taking up a slot and offering no value in return. Downgrading would also mean sacrificing any future signup bonus on the no annual fee Hilton Card.

My ideal situation would be if Amex gave me the opportunity to upgrade my Surpass card to a 2nd Aspire Card after the first year, since I would potentially have double the Aspire/Hilton credits and annual weekend free nights to use. However, there is no guarantee this would happen.

Has anyone ever held two co-branded cards from the same family of cards? Will Amex typically offer an incentive to upgrade a "lesser" card to a "premium" card even if you already hold the "premium" card in the group?

Javier1704 Aug 4, 2019 10:04 am

There are people who have two Aspire cards. I haven’t done it but this is going to be my strategy in the future.

MSPeconomist Aug 4, 2019 10:13 am

For the DL cards, there are people who have four: Reserve personal, Reserve business, DL Plat personal and DL Plat business and earn status miles from all of them. In fact, if you have one, you tend to get solicitations for the other cards. Personal and business cards are considered to be different products.