Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (UK) 90% credit limit reduction (reversed by submitting documentation).

Old Aug 3, 19, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club: Silver HHons:Gold FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry

My better half received an email saying both her BA Premier Plus and Gold Credit card limits had been slashed by 90%.
I am supplementary holder.

This leaves us with a few hundred pounds of credit.

At first we thought this was a scam email but nope, its true.
Called up Amex who refused to discuss reasons but did say Credit Report could be an issue.
Both of us have an Experian rating (this morning) of 999 with zero adverse flags on any account for last 10 years.
Amex cards have never hit limits, always paid on time.
No overdraft, no other loans except mortgage.

Obviously we could pay off the card limit multiple times a month but thats a pain.
Anyone else seen this, wondering what reasons they gave you (do they even need to give one?)

Have a raised a complaint.

Last edited by AleTrail; Aug 3, 19 at 4:31 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
I had this a couple of months ago..... on all of my UK amex credit cards. Not sure if it affected my plat charge card, but it wasn't refused anywhere.
I did actually have an (unknown to me) issue with one of my other (non-amex) cards which had dinged my credit score....but amex reacted completely over the top and slashed all limits drastically - my BA premium plus was reduced from near 20k to something like 500. I was pretty annoyed, and pointing out that for a card with a companion voucher issued at 10k, and that this target was now impossible to hit even maxing the card out every month, seemed to fall on deaf ears, so I asked to be transferred to the credit team.
They agreed my history with amex was impeccable and the reduction was over the top but had been done for reasons related to credit scoring and couldn't be investigated without further info. They sent me an email asking me to reply attaching bank statements for the past three months, which I did, showing balances of many multiples of the combined credit limits.
All credit limits were returned to previous levels within a day or so.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club: Silver HHons:Gold FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Yup - same here, the complaint was upheld within 2 hours of sending in financial materials and credit was returned back to previous levels right away.
Annoying if this happened abroad at hotel check-out time, but quickly fixed on this occasion.
Still - for us a Saturday morning wasted on the phone and gathering data to send off :-/

Search this Thread