AMEX loses income and address info

Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
AMEX loses income and address info

Thus afternoon I received an email reporting that AMEX had tried to send me mail about one of my cards, but wasn’t able to do so. I was urged to update my address immediately. The option to go paperless was also mentioned. Nothing about my address has changed, so I was skeptical. I thought it might be a scam, or might be an effort by AMEX to nag me into going paperless. Rather than use any links in the email, I opened the AMEX app on my phone and found that indeed, my street address was there, but my city, state and zip code were blank. I provided the missing information. I noticed an option to update my income, and on a whim, opened it. My annual income was shown as $1000000000! I may not have the number of zeros right, but it was a 1 followed by the field filled with zeros. I corrected that.

i have several AMEX cards, and checked the others. The income info had updated between cards, but address didn’t. All my other cards were missing address information, so I updated them all.

This wasn’t really a major problem, but I am curious if this has happened to anyone else, or if I can get any insight from the group here. I scrolled through several pages of messages checking subjects, and tried searching for “address” and got a horde of responses, apologies if this has been asked and I overlooked it.

Last edited by Mike B; Aug 3, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I just checked mine and the city and state and zip code were also blank. For both personal and corporate cards.
The income was there.

But I don't think the address stuff is a bug, because I just suppose they don't provide any info when updating?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mike B
....I opened the Hilton app on my phone ....
Hilton or American Express?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by mia
Hilton or American Express?
oops! Got to go fix that!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mike B
I opened the AMEX app on my phone and found that indeed, my street address was there, but my city, state and zip code were blank. I provided the missing information... All my other cards were missing address information, so I updated them all.
I had exactly the same experience this week. Amex emailed me to say they had tried to send me a paper document but my address record was incomplete. I went into my account using a web browser and found what you found. I suppose they performed an update, mishandled some customer records, and dropped some data.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BearX220
I suppose they performed an update, mishandled some customer records, and dropped some data.
Maybe they can just sync their data with that leaked from their friends at Cap One.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
I had exactly the same experience this week. Amex emailed me to say they had tried to send me a paper document but my address record was incomplete. I went into my account using a web browser and found what you found. I suppose they performed an update, mishandled some customer records, and dropped some data.
that's pretty scary
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cfischer
that's pretty scary
I wish they'd handle records of my charges with the same nonchalance.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I just checked mine and the city and state and zip code were also blank. For both personal and corporate cards.
The income was there.

But I don't think the address stuff is a bug, because I just suppose they don't provide any info when updating?

Read the box below your address. For security they intentionally hide your City, State and Zip Code

mia likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then why are they contacting us to complain the address files are incomplete?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.