FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Clear as an Amex Corporate Platinum perk (USA) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1981183-clear-amex-corporate-platinum-perk-usa.html)

PHXTrvler Aug 1, 2019 2:31 pm

Clear as an Amex Corporate Platinum perk (USA)

Was recently reading a CNN article, where the article incorrectly stated that American express platinum comes with a free clear membership

Clear is offered as a Delta Medallion perk (frequent Delta Air Lines travelers earn different tiers of status), and if you're an American Express Platinum cardholder (as is this writer), Clear is gratis, though the card itself has an annual fee of $550, which includes a slew of benefits starting with $200 Uber credit and $200 airline credit.
(note: I tried to link to the article, but I supposedly can't post links until I have more posts, if you want to find the article, the title is "Move over TSA Precheck. Long Live Clear!" by CNN)

Obviously this article is wrong, but it got me thinking, this would be a pretty great perk if amex could offer this. With all the recent pullbacks in travel benefits (Priority pass restaurant use, amex centurion lounge changes, etc.), this would make up quite a bit for all the other recent losses it has had. Further, it would be quite the differentiator for them, as everyone offers a TSA precheck/global entry membership, but no credit card really offers a clear membership.

Any chance this would ever happen, or am I just dreaming?

mrkymark Aug 1, 2019 3:04 pm

Yeah

I read the same article and thought it was suspect as well. Not sure how a writer can make up claims like that out of thin air.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/clear-airport-security/index.html

I would welcome the perk as I elect for Nexus and pay 50 bucks for GE privileges and precheck so I don't even use the 100.

Points Scrounger Aug 1, 2019 3:16 pm

In addition to getting reduced or free Clear with Delta status and credit card, I got an email recently that I'm eligible for discounted Clear based on United silver status (via Marriott titanium).

Would love to have included Clear as a Plat benny!

Global Adventurer Aug 2, 2019 6:12 am

I've used CLEAR, but the only problem I see is the fact it's only offered in select airports. So, most cardholders won't be able to access the benefit. The only time I've used it was from flights out of LAX which is not my hometown airport, which does not have clear.

MSPeconomist Aug 2, 2019 6:18 am

USA based regular AmEx Plat charge cards do get the GE or PreCheck application fee refunded. Maybe the author was confused about the difference between CLEAR and PreCheck since they're both airport security lanes.

Diplomatico Aug 2, 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31370273)
USA based regular AmEx Plat charge cards do get the GE or PreCheck application fee refunded. Maybe the author was confused about the difference between CLEAR and PreCheck since they're both airport security lanes.

In which case, that author should probably not be writing about the subject.

MSPeconomist Aug 2, 2019 6:32 am

Think about all the travel writers (and travel bloggers) who don't understand the difference between a reservation/itinerary/PNR and a ticket or who refer to a boarding pass as a ticket. Then think of the ones who don't understand that transit without visa is not a visa. Etc.

mia Aug 2, 2019 6:34 am

The author seems to know the difference between PreCheck and Clear because the article explains how they interact. The reference to American Express Platinum has been removed:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ity/index.html

lewinr Oct 19, 2019 10:35 pm

I got a letter on Friday about changes in the benefits for the Plat (I dont remember if it was the business or personal card, it could be either as I have both). I'm sure that it said that I would now get a $159 credit for joining clear. I tossed the letter because I assumed it would be discussed in more detail somewhere in FT. Now I'm surprised that this seems to be the only relevant thread.

Did anybody else get this letter?

JHake10 Oct 19, 2019 11:00 pm

I heard a rumor there may be a Clear credit with the re-launch of the AMEX Green Card. Just a rumor. I haven’t gotten any communication around Clear in relation to my personal AMEX Platinum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31630360-post71.html

algs26 Oct 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Was the article referring to this?

I can't post links but if you search for:
business wire 20191017005513
  • CLEAR2: Through the Corporate Program’s new partnership with CLEAR, Corporate Platinum Card Members can enjoy up to $179 in statement credits towards CLEAR membership, which unlocks frictionless experiences at 60+ locations nationwide, including airports, arenas, stadiums, and Hertz rental car locations. This benefit, the equivalent value of an annual CLEAR membership, will be available starting in November.

slice Dec 6, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by algs26 (Post 31646915)
Was the article referring to this?

I can't post links but if you search for:
business wire 20191017005513
  • CLEAR2: Through the Corporate Program’s new partnership with CLEAR, Corporate Platinum Card Members can enjoy up to $179 in statement credits towards CLEAR membership, which unlocks frictionless experiences at 60+ locations nationwide, including airports, arenas, stadiums, and Hertz rental car locations. This benefit, the equivalent value of an annual CLEAR membership, will be available starting in November.

Has anyone had any experience with reimbursement yet? My charge posted on Nov 29, so far no credit. Corporate Plat.

T+C's say 2-4 weeks but I know all the other reimbursements/offers say the same and are always much quicker.

schor662 Dec 7, 2019 8:28 am

I purchased Clear with my Amex Platinum Corporate card on November 14th and credit posted on November 27th. Looks like it takes about two weeks to get the credit. Hope this helps.

slice Dec 18, 2019 9:49 am

Mine posted. Charge on Nov 29, credit on Dec 5.

gnomey Jan 9, 2020 1:20 am

Originally Posted by schor662 (Post 31815394)
I purchased Clear with my Amex Platinum Corporate card on November 14th and credit posted on November 27th. Looks like it takes about two weeks to get the credit. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by slice (Post 31852949)
Mine posted. Charge on Nov 29, credit on Dec 5.

does CLEAR charge immediately after you have completed your application online - which means that's your Day 1 of membership?

or

do they only charge after you completed application online and made a visit the airport to present biometrics info?
[the website says you still need to go in-person for them to collect fingerprint, retina data etc]