Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Fraudulent Scheme or AMEX system mixed up Identity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Fraudulent Scheme or AMEX system mixed up Identity?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:47 pm

Executive office is in NYC. The fake executive office is in FL. If you ever want to reach a an executive write their vacation home. House managers are great!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UPDATE

Neighbor told me she is Alive now according to AMEX which has sent her a new replacement card.
No explanation or apology offered so she isn't thrilled by that with her membership since 1983 stat. LOL.

The "fake" Exec Office regardless, does seem to have reps being more helpful than the regular reps, especially when folks there are locals so they generally can relate to issues that are localized and trying harder to get it resolved, just based on personal experiences dealing with various reps from different call centers.

The most recent example is about misclassification of a local Caribbean grocer which is always classified as grocery store/ supermarket with Visa and earns the correct category bonus. However, despite the same description shown on AMEX card, it always only earned 1x instead of the category bonus. I got tired of calling AMEX because each time I only got the lecture about "it is the merchant code, nothing AMEX can do." Finally thru a retention call handled by a rep who also shopped at the same grocer, to get this fixed once and for all. The rep said he would submit a report to the IT dept to correct the coding in AMEX system, and told me to try again in a couple weeks - if still not fixed, call back and refer to the previous call. So I did. And the issue is now fixed. Last week's 2 purchases there are now correctly shown as 4x.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Happy
[... then there was the ...] misclassification of a local Caribbean grocer which ... only earned 1x .... I got tired of calling AMEX because each time ...

Finally thru a retention call ... the issue is now fixed.
I'm curious- what's your estimated spend p.a. there, you figure?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
UPDATE<br /><br />Neighbor told me she is Alive now according to AMEX which has sent her a new replacement card.<br />No explanation or apology offered so she isn't thrilled by that with her membership since 1983 stat. LOL.<br /><br />The "fake" Exec Office regardless, does seem to have reps being more helpful than the regular reps, especially when folks there are locals so they generally can relate to issues that are localized and trying harder to get it resolved, just based on personal experiences dealing with various reps from different call centers.<br /><br />The most recent example is about misclassification of a local Caribbean grocer which is always classified as grocery store/ supermarket with Visa and earns the correct category bonus. However, despite the same description shown on AMEX card, it always only earned 1x instead of the category bonus. I got tired of calling AMEX because each time I only got the lecture about "it is the merchant code, nothing AMEX can do." Finally thru a retention call handled by a rep who also shopped at the same grocer, to get this fixed once and for all. The rep said he would submit a report to the IT dept to correct the coding in AMEX system, and told me to try again in a couple weeks - if still not fixed, call back and refer to the previous call. So I did. And the issue is now fixed. Last week's 2 purchases there are now correctly shown as 4x.
<br /><br />*IF* she has a sense of humor, how about a little cake with a very special "Birthday" greeting or such, to celebrate the end of this nonsense?<br />If she does NOT have a sense of humor, then... I never, ever, suggested this <br /><br />GC
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm curious- what's your estimated spend p.a. there, you figure?
One to two hundreds a month when we are at home - this store has fresh reef fishes flown in from the Caribbeans including some expensive varieties such as "strawberry grouper" or "star grouper" - when they are fresh, they are REALLY fresh. But it is not always available understandably. We often spend $50 to $75 on a visit just for the fishes when it happens to have the "new arrivals". They also have wild caught red shrimp from Argentina - often bigger and cheaper than what is found in the local monopoly grocery chain called Publix. Their other shrimps while are farmed types, do not have the terrible smell and taste from the solution used to preserve shrimp that we found from shrimps bought from Publix where most of them are from China and SE Asia. The last 2 times we had to soak the shrimps bought from Publix with water several times to get rid as much as the preserve solution, plus the excessive saltiness. This Caribbean grocer has farmed shrimps from Panama which dont seem to use as much the preserve solution on the farmed shrimps as their Asian counter parts.

After a few calls at the beginning of the Gold card change I gave up and returned to the TD Cash Reward card that earns 2x like clockwork - it is a no AF no Forex fee card by the way - worked flawlessly all over the world without a single hiccup. (3x dining 2x grocery 1x everything else). It is not worth the time to call AMEX and then being lectured. I was going to cancel the Gold card when AF billed last month with the robot system which transferred me to the retention rep who happened to be a local. Reasonable retention offer with a promise to fix the issue that I told him being one of my pet peeves. He delivered.

BTW, I start seeing at some Publix stores seafood depts now have a placard said "The Shrimps May Contain Sulfite". Though not every store has such a sign but that ought to tell you something.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:18 pm Reason: Typos
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
<br /><br />*IF* she has a sense of humor, how about a little cake with a very special "Birthday" greeting or such, to celebrate the end of this nonsense?<br />If she does NOT have a sense of humor, then... I never, ever, suggested this <br /><br />GC
Oh, she has good sense of humor. This is a good suggestion I would make to her so we have some fun.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
The most recent example is about misclassification of a local Caribbean grocer which is always classified as grocery store/ supermarket with Visa and earns the correct category bonus. However, despite the same description shown on AMEX card, it always only earned 1x instead of the category bonus. I got tired of calling AMEX because each time I only got the lecture about "it is the merchant code, nothing AMEX can do." Finally thru a retention call handled by a rep who also shopped at the same grocer, to get this fixed once and for all. The rep said he would submit a report to the IT dept to correct the coding in AMEX system, and told me to try again in a couple weeks - if still not fixed, call back and refer to the previous call. So I did. And the issue is now fixed. Last week's 2 purchases there are now correctly shown as 4x.
This is so ridiculous.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
One to two hundreds a month when we are at home
OK ... that was a lot of trouble to go to, otherwise.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
OK ... that was a lot of trouble to go to, otherwise.
That was why I used the TD cash reward card at that particular grocer instead of the Gold because it was too much trouble to get it fixed after the few tries.

I have not bothered to pursuit the miscoding with AMEX since last year, just switched to use the TD Visa instead.

Last month I called to cancel the Gold card the retention rep happened to be at the "fake" Executive Office per Centurion's comment, asked what I am not happy about the Gold card - this is one of the pet peeves I have. He asked the name of the grocer and immediately knew where it was, said he shopped there as well. He offered to submit a request to IT dept to correct the coding, versus the regular reps just lectured me about it was all due to merchant's coding and not because of miscoding by AMEX - Visa always codes it correctly so it is only AMEX not recognizes it for the purpose of category bonus, despite it shows Grocery Store on AMEX online in every screen. The retention rep saw that in his system as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.