Wiki Posts
Search

Close/Convert with negative point balance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:20 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by coreyfr

How can Amex blacklist me from getting a Chase card?
Who said AmEx would block you from Chase card? AmEx may well come out with another 100,000 card and anyone black-listed can't apply.

This is what happened when Chase came up with the 100,000 CSR card. The people who got black-listed or way over 5/24 got to kick themselves for that.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Amex, FPC, IHG Ambassador, Aeroplan,BA
Over the years I have done it many times actually, probably around 4 or 5 times and 100000 points in total. I have never had any problem and when I close the account (which I always request online) and get a new card I set it up with new login and username so MR are not linked with old account. If you use your old online login, it will link to your old account unless it is a different type of product {business/personal) but have never had an issue with the negative balance on the closed account.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:14 am

I closed my AMEX Australia card with approx. negative 50k.
Nothing was done about it. Also, I did find in the AMEX Australia terms and conditions that 'points have no monetary value' so I was ready to take them on.

I'll open another account in the future - hopefully I start at 0
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Negative membership rewards balance- do I have to pay that back?

Due to a travel chargeback claim decided in my favor, I now have a negative AMEX membership rewards balance of about -3000. If I close my AMEX Platinum card, will I have to back anything back?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mediahound
If I close my AMEX Platinum card,..
Do you hold any other card which earns Membership Rewards?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Do you hold any other card which earns Membership Rewards?
I don't.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:18 pm

question: Does AMEX deduct points if I get refund for flight cancellation?

Sorry to open a 15yr old thread. Just had a single question, which I thought may not warrant a whole new thread.

I have a question.
If I made a $3,000 airline purchase with Plat Card last year and I'm sitting on 15,000 points from that purchase, then what happens to those points if I cancel the booking and the airline processes refund?
My flight's been cancelled and the airline is offering full refund.
If I get to keep those points, then I will just have the airline process the refund asap.
But if there's any concern that I might end up losing those points upon refund, then would it be better to convert MR points to partner hotel/airline points before cancelling?
Old May 30, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sorry to open a 15yr old thread. Just had a single question, which I thought may not warrant a whole new thread.

I have a question.
If I made a $3,000 airline purchase with Plat Card last year and I'm sitting on 15,000 points from that purchase, then what happens to those points if I cancel the booking and the airline processes refund?
My flight's been cancelled and the airline is offering full refund.
If I get to keep those points, then I will just have the airline process the refund asap.
But if there's any concern that I might end up losing those points upon refund, then would it be better to convert MR points to partner hotel/airline points before cancelling?
Do not hold me to this but.....

I had a very large credit due to a cancelled cruise which was refunded back to my plat card. However, my membership reward points went up rather than down because I still had several hundred dollars in charges (which were negated by the large refund). They gave me points for the charges, but didn't deduct already credited points (yet) for the refund.

I now have a 4 digit credit on my card. I will have to wait until next month to see if Amex claws back the points from the refunded fare. They have not done so yet.

In truth, I was expecting them to do so, since it is only fair. Maybe someone else has better information.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:50 pm

The points will eventually be reversed. If they are awarded to your account before the refund occurs, they will be deducted from your pending MR after the refund. Then, you will have MR clawed back if your pending MR balance is negative at the next statement close. This means you can transfer the MR to partners if they're already in your account, but they will most assuredly be clawed back down the line if your flight is refunded.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by xov91
This means you can transfer the MR to partners if they're already in your account, but they will most assuredly be clawed back down the line if your flight is refunded.
So you're saying that transferring MR points to partner miles/points (eg, SQ miles) will not help in this situation, because AMEx can come after your SQ miles even after the points transfer has been completed?
Old May 30, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Thanks for the responses.

So you're saying that transferring MR points to partner miles/points (eg, SQ miles) will not help in this situation, because AMEx can come after your SQ miles even after the points transfer has been completed?
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that transferring or not won't matter, the points are always deducted for any refund on the card. I don't think they are coming after your SQ miles though, though I could be wrong. I think your MR balance will be negative and unless you intend to never come back to AMEX, there's no benefit for you.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that transferring or not won't matter, the points are always deducted for any refund on the card. I don't think they are coming after your SQ miles though, though I could be wrong. I think your MR balance will be negative and unless you intend to never come back to AMEX, there's no benefit for you.
Yes, this right. They clawback MR, not airline miles or hotel points.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
I don't think they are coming after your SQ miles though, though I could be wrong. I think your MR balance will be negative and unless you intend to never come back to AMEX, there's no benefit for you.
Originally Posted by xov91
Yes, this right. They clawback MR, not airline miles or hotel points.
I see, thanks. The thing is, my Platinum renewal is up in Sept, I don't plan to renew, and I think chances are low that I will spend another dime on this card (although I do have other AMEx products such as the DL one). I only use Platinum to book flights and I don't see myself booking new air travel in the near future. So in that case, I should probably convert before having the airline process refund.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I see, thanks. The thing is, my Platinum renewal is up in Sept, I don't plan to renew, and I think chances are low that I will spend another dime on this card (although I do have other AMEx products such as the DL one). I only use Platinum to book flights and I don't see myself booking new air travel in the near future. So in that case, I should probably convert before having the airline process refund.
I wouldn't underestimate Amex's ability and willingness to mess with cardmembers they deem to have gamed the system. They expressly reserve the right to cancel all your Amex cards.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't underestimate Amex's ability and willingness to mess with cardmembers they deem to have gamed the system. They expressly reserve the right to cancel all your Amex cards.
Why do you think they would consider this as trying to cheat the system?
i don’t believe so at all.

With no more air travels, isn’t it reasonable to cancel the Plat card? Im going to cancel my mine after having it for a full year, meaning I already paid a full AF. And of course anyone would justifiably cash out his MR points before cancelling the card. My future flight got cancelled, and I’m due a refund.

Requesting airline refund, transferring my points, cancelling my card are 3 things that I’m entitled to do and have to happen one way or the other regardless. I don’t think there’s anything in AMex’s playbook that says I have to do them in any particular order.

But if you still believe I’m doing something wrong, then how do you go about this situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.