Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you tip Centurion Lounge bartenders?
Always.
21.52%
Only for alcohol, including cocktails, beer and wine. Not for soft drinks.
41.14%
Only for cocktails. Not for beer, wine, soft drinks.
11.39%
Only for one round of drinks. Not for refills.
5.70%
Never.
20.25%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tip Centurion Lounge bartenders?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I try to tip if I have $1s or a $5. If not then I either don't get a drink or stick to something simple like a glass of wine.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:37 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
In practice, I tip if I have a dollar bill on me.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
If a staff member cleaning nearby tables notices my empty glass and offers to refill it, I tip them very well! It's only happened to me a few times, and is very much appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Do you tip for the coke then?
Not usually.
what's the difference between the bartender pouring a glass of wine and pouring a coke?
The $1 tip.
ffsim and QtownDave like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:03 pm

I don't live near a centurion lounge, so I only really stop by when I'm connecting to or from an international flight. I never carry small bills in that situation, so I've never tipped.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I almost never order drinks from Centurion lounge bartenders (unless that is the only way to maybe even get water) at airports. And I rarely have any easily accessible USD cash when in Centurion lounges. And even when I do have readily accessible greenbacks, it tends to be $20, $50, or $100 notes and I really do not want to end up carrying a lot of smaller denomination notes as change. The net result of this is that I can't recall ever tipping any Centurion bartender in the US.

I would hope Amex pays its Centurion lounge staff in such a way that they aren't expected to count on getting tipped as part of making ends meet.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 26, 2019 at 3:20 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:47 am

I don't tip because no cash.I only carry a $20 bill for emergencies as pretty much any place aside from shady places take credit cards. Who walks around with dollar bills? Where do you even get dollar bills? I think only ATMs at strip clubs still dispense those.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The antipode to "I don't carry cash so I don't tip" is "I carry cash so I can tip."
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by the188
....Where do you even get dollar bills?....
Banks. Cashiers at retail businesses where tipping is common, such as hotels and salons will be happy to break a $20 ATM note for a mix of $1 and $5 notes. Late in the day many other retail businesses will do the same.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Absolutely tip. I can't see how this is even a question tbh.

You're in the US, that's the culture (rightly or wrongly).
Yes, it is a weird US culture thing. In comparison Air Canada has rules against there staff accepting tips, that applies to the bartenders in the Maple Leaf Lounge. I don't see anyone tipping at the AMEX/Plaza Premium lounges in Canada either.

In the US I tend to only tip in lounges where it appears to be the norm and only if I have US bills with me (and that is becoming rare, about 50% of the trips I have done in and out the US I have managed to do without ever getting any local currency.) Basically using my AMEX or Visa for everything.

Honestly if AMEX wanted the bartenders to get tips would they not offer some type of credit card processing mechanism. This is after all a bar owned and operated by a credit/charge card company.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
Exactly. There's a good reason (laws about drinking age, for one thing) that a bartender has to serve anything alcoholic. But it's really dumb that Amex pushes the task of serving Coca-Cola and 7-Up onto their bartenders when it could be done by a machine just like the coffee is served. So, I don't tip on non alcoholic beverages, because Amex could solve this problem with a soda fountain.
That must be a local regional thing. Lots of airport lounges where the alcoholic beverages are self serve.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dayone
The antipode to "I don't carry cash so I don't tip" is "I carry cash so I can tip."
Yes. But that sort of presupposes that someone knows they will be engaging in an activity where they may procure services that could involve tipping cash. More times than not, even when I use the Centurion Lounges, I am not procuring services where a tip would be expected and thus wouldn't carry cash to tip.

If having larger denomination USD notes, those who accept tips frequently will often have cash to make change.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I go to the bank once a year and get about $200 in $1 bills to use for tipping on an annual Mexico trip.

The leftover bills from that trip go into my work bag wrapped around an old room key. It's hardly a burden to carry an extra $40 in mixed small bills in a random briefcase pocket.

I started doing it just so I had cash handy to tip the valet or if I park at a restaurant on the road. I'll refill between trips with the Mexico stash but just carrying $40 I've never run out. I'm not a lush at the lounge so maybe $5 is plenty during a visit.

It's pretty much the only time I ever have cash in my hand nowadays but having worked and paid my dues in the service industry well into my 20's, the staff is going to appreciate a few bucks more than I'll ever miss it.
tylerchris likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
The typically bartender (or waitstaff) historically receives low pay and their main compensation comes from tips, which leads to the unique American cultural practice that tips are not just for good service, but are "required".

I have never tipped in a Centurion Lounge, and I don't know that I have ever even seen anyone tip in Centurion Lounge. Of course, the comments in this thread clearly show that some do. HOWEVER, it would seem to me that AMEX pays the bartenders based on the assumption that there will be no tips. Therefore, I don't think tipping is as "necessary" or "expected" as it would be in a more traditional watering hole. Unless, of course, the bartender does something to earn a tip (beyond pouring from a wine bottle and saying "Enjoy!")

If anyone deserves a tip, it would be those that bus the tables. They seem to work harder to make sure your visit is comfortable and clean. But again, I don't feel compelled to tip because I imagine their compensation is based on the assumption that they will not be tipped.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:37 pm

booze, yes.

i don't order soda but can't imagine tipping on a drink worth $2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.