Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No more AMEX points on gift card purchases according to doctorofcredit.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Gift cards are now in excluded from points earning. A bummer because a couple of times a year, my local supermarket sells gift cards for their market (Gelson's) at a discount, and I usually buy $1k worth.

When I checked how my last purchase of gift cards show on the statement, looked the same as regular purchases, But that was in April, maybe they have updated the coding.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Gift cards are now in excluded from points earning. ....
Please clarify what you mean by "now". Certain types of gift cards have long been ineligible, but merchant gift cards bought at retail stores are typically the same as any other purchase at those same stores.
jdel06 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Now as in today and not as of a year ago.

here are the T&Cs, which according to doctor of credit, has new language.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36195-9-0
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Now as in today and not as of a year ago.

here are the T&Cs, which according to doctor of credit, has new language. I have not verified his assertion.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36195-9-0
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:06 pm
mia

This language was already in the terms of the personal Gold card by October 2018. It may have been there earlier, but not quoted verbatim here. I buy gift cards at Whole Foods every week, and the full amount of the transaction earns 4 points.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:25 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

According to the doctorofcredit.com, it looks like AMEX is banning bonus points if gift card are involved in the purchase transaction.

From their site:

On various Amex cards, the gift card exclusion shows even for earning ordinary points. It’s not showing on all cards explicitly for ordinary points, but does on some; here are a couple of examples: Blue Business Plus card (link), Gold card (link) Blue Cash Everyday (link). All cards show the gift card exclusion for the bonuses, and many cards show it for ordinary purchases as well.

Last edited by mia; Jul 24, 2019 at 6:45 am Reason: Remove broken link
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
To be clear, the quoted article only mentions that the T&Cs for certain AMEX products exclude bonus points for gift cards. There are no data points provided as far as gift card purchases actually being excluded from bonus points and this is explicitly noted in the article.

Also, direct link to article: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...arning-points/
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:44 am
mia

Moderator action

I have merged in a few posts from another thread discussing this blog article. Scroll back to review. Spoiler: the language in the terms is not new, and (to now) not enforced.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:04 pm

I'm still seeing bonus points for my purchases of gift cards at supermarkets on my American Express Everyday Preferred.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:19 pm

Amex Hilton and Delta?

Does buying gift cards earn points on Hilton and Delta cards?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Especially if you buy something else with a gift certificate at a merchant, I don't see how they can code out the gift certificates to exclude them?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
I got a mailer for a delta amex card a couple weeks ago, hadn't decided to apply but have a little time left to do so. 70k after $4k spend in 3 months. I used to buy GCs at the grocery(Kroger family) store to liquidate at WM on MOs with no problem in the past, that was over a year ago. I'm not sure I want to apply for this delta card now.

Anyone seeing how the cards are being coded when purchased at the grocery stores?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cajunguy
I got a mailer for a delta amex card a couple weeks ago, hadn't decided to apply but have a little time left to do so. 70k after $4k spend in 3 months. I used to buy GCs at the grocery(Kroger family) store to liquidate at WM on MOs with no problem in the past, that was over a year ago. I'm not sure I want to apply for this delta card now.

Anyone seeing how the cards are being coded when purchased at the grocery stores?
Most POS systems at grocery stores do not send the credit card terminal (AMEX) the itemized receipt. It shows up a single transaction for the total basket. The entire transaction is coded based on the type of retailer. Does the retailer even want to share that type of information with AMEX? Probably not.

A better question is which grocery retailers send AMEX the itemized list so it can do something with it? I suspect that number is fairly small.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Most POS systems at grocery stores do not send the credit card terminal (AMEX) the itemized receipt. It shows up a single transaction for the total basket. The entire transaction is coded based on the type of retailer. Does the retailer even want to share that type of information with AMEX? Probably not.

A better question is which grocery retailers send AMEX the itemized list so it can do something with it? I suspect that number is fairly small.
So you're basically saying there's a better than average chance that it'll just show up as grocery and not a specific code for a gift card, right?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Fiordland
which grocery retailers send AMEX the itemized list so it can do something with it? I suspect that number is fairly small.
Most supermarkets run loyalty programs to collect data on what customers buy. Hard to imagine they would give this proprietary information to AmEx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.