Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No more AMEX points on gift card purchases according to doctorofcredit.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more AMEX points on gift card purchases according to doctorofcredit.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vxmike
What do you think about 3rd party sites like Raise.com?
I've never bought from Raise, so can't speak to that, but any place that primarily sells gift cards flies a bit too close to the sun for me. Also I'm not in the business of buying discounted closed loop GCs.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Do not fall for the AMEX T&C bluff such as about points earning restrictions on gift card purchases. They are unable to enforce it on most of the time due to technical limitations.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I will add a DP that gift cards I bought from Happycards.com (using AMEX offer) and Kroger.com all earned points. Happy Cards posts as “BHN Gift Cards” and Kroger posts as “Gift Cards”. This is within the last week.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by yulsee
Do not fall for the AMEX T&C bluff such as about points earning restrictions on gift card purchases. They are unable to enforce it on most of the time due to technical limitations.
I am glad you said "most of the time" since Amex seems to have gotten point restrictions perfected for VGC purchases at SM as well as at OM and Staples.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These latest data points don't seem to bring much clarity, but it seems like supermarkets still work OK for the posting of AMEX points.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jags86
I will add a DP that gift cards I bought from Happycards.com (using AMEX offer) and Kroger.com all earned points. Happy Cards posts as “BHN Gift Cards” and Kroger posts as “Gift Cards”. This is within the last week.
Thanks
There are many DPs out there that buying VGCs or MCGCs at supermarkets still earn points on Amex personal cards. Your post again confirms that.

It also appears that for Happy Cards, on-line purchases with Amex also qualifies. Nice to know.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by radonc1
Thanks
There are many DPs out there that buying VGCs or MCGCs at supermarkets still earn points on Amex personal cards. Your post again confirms that.

It also appears that for Happy Cards, on-line purchases with Amex also qualifies. Nice to know.
Out of curiosity, how risky is it to buy those cards for the sole purpose to hit a SUB? Or how risky it is to MS in general?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antlers
Out of curiosity, how risky is it to buy those cards for the sole purpose to hit a SUB? Or how risky it is to MS in general?
Define what means "risky".

AMEX would not shut your account for buying gift cards. However it does not mean you would earn SUB thru such purchase, or the SUB would not be clawed back even if it is earned initially.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Happy
Define what means "risky".
Really, just the chances of AMEX finding out and clawing back points or denying a SUB if I use giftcards to hit it. I had the idea to MS for the plat SUB whenever I get it, but I don’t want to get denied the bonus.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antlers
Really, just the chances of AMEX finding out and clawing back points or denying a SUB if I use giftcards to hit it. I had the idea to MS for the plat SUB whenever I get it, but I don’t want to get denied the bonus.
You most likely already know the answer although not an answer you may like.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by radonc1
I have been reviewing the purchases of VGCs at Staples or OM using either Amex Hilton and Starwood Amex. I have not gotten any points on either card for said purchases and this has been confirmed by repeat purchases.
There are DPs out there that Amex business cards still get the points for such purchases but I don't have those cards so I cannot confirm those DPs.
That sounds really odd. My wife used her HHonors card at Staples to buy a $200 GC and got the $6 Amex Offer and the points. I've also been using my Simply cash Biz card to buy GCs at OD and Staples for the 5x cash and they show they will post next statement.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I don't think you earn points on amex gift cards purchased thru their own website. I was going to do it to earn the $10 off $200
I don't think they count for meeting msr either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.