Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No more AMEX points on gift card purchases according to doctorofcredit.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more AMEX points on gift card purchases according to doctorofcredit.com

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Agree

Agree that it has always been the case that Amex doesn't want to give MR for gift cards. And putting in the TCs is fine but largely unenforceable with the volume of transactions and the opacity of those transactions. A supermarket chain is not going to transmit individual purchase data on contents bought by customer.

I will admit though that some retailers have ventured to do this. I was very surprised when a recent purchase at Staples with Amex listed the two specific items I bought on my Amex statement. So at least maybe for Staples it can be enforced.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Nikoletta
Does buying gift cards earn points on Hilton and Delta cards?
YMMV, but you almost certainly won't earn points at Simon Mall.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cajunguy
So you're basically saying there's a better than average chance that it'll just show up as grocery and not a specific code for a gift card, right?
Yes, for two reasons.

Sending that data to AMEX is complex and expensive to setup. The retailer gains very little from doing it.

That POS transaction data is a valuable asset. Market research companies such as Neilsons pay good money to get that data stream from retailers that are willing to sell it. Many retailers will view it as sensitive market data and refuse to even sell it to a third party.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Yes, for two reasons.

Sending that data to AMEX is complex and expensive to setup. The retailer gains very little from doing it.

That POS transaction data is a valuable asset. Market research companies such as Neilsons pay good money to get that data stream from retailers that are willing to sell it. Many retailers will view it as sensitive market data and refuse to even sell it to a third party.
Thanks! I'm still torn about applying, the mailer I have is good until mid Sept. I haven't applied for any AMEX cards in a very long time. I'm about to close my SPG/Marriot what-ever. I also want to apply for another BOA Alaska Biz card soon.

Your information is helpful.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a mailer for a delta amex card a couple weeks ago, hadn't decided to apply but have a little time left to do so.
Thanks! I'm still torn about applying, the mailer I have is good until mid Sept. I haven't applied for any AMEX cards in a very long time. I'm about to close my SPG/Marriot what-ever.
Have you used all of your existing Amex cards recently? Because if not (eg, if your SPG/Marriott what-ever" was "sock drawered", and now you cancel it), you have a high chance of being denied the signup bonus (not the card itself) on that Delta Amex card you got the mailer for:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

One of the things that Amex now penalizes you for is "sock drawering" cards.

All of these changes happened in the past year or two, so if you haven't applied for any Amex card in "a very long time", you may to make yourself familiar with all the new policies before you cancel any Amex card, not just before you apply for any Amex card. (Yes, I understand your Amex card you're cancelling is much more than a year old, but that in and of itself is not sufficient to avoid being penalized.)
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Have you used all of your existing Amex cards recently? Because if not (eg, if your SPG/Marriott what-ever" was "sock drawered", and now you cancel it), you have a high chance of being denied the signup bonus (not the card itself) on that Delta Amex card you got the mailer for:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

One of the things that Amex now penalizes you for is "sock drawering" cards.

All of these changes happened in the past year or two, so if you haven't applied for any Amex card in "a very long time", you may to make yourself familiar with all the new policies before you cancel any Amex card, not just before you apply for any Amex card. (Yes, I understand your Amex card you're cancelling is much more than a year old, but that in and of itself is not sufficient to avoid being penalized.)
Great info - I do have other Amex cards I use - Gold, Gold Biz and Plat very often. I just didn't have any use for either of my hotel versions (Hilton points hacked on Amazon prime day and drained!!!) Since I rarely fly Delta I hadn't given it much thought but then I'm thinking I may need to move miles or points around for flights in the future.

I'll probably just pass on this Delta mailer.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I will admit though that some retailers have ventured to do this. I was very surprised when a recent purchase at Staples with Amex listed the two specific items I bought on my Amex statement. So at least maybe for Staples it can be enforced.
And Staples appears to have been doing this for at least 4 1/2 years

https://travelwithgrant.boardingarea...g-staples-com/

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Yes, for two reasons.

From what I gather from “reading the internet”, merchants may be able to get lower processing fees by providing level 3 data. So, as always, it really is a question of money... and with high volume merchants, it maybe a lot of money.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

And Staples appears to have been doing this for at least 4 1/2 years

https://travelwithgrant.boardingarea...g-staples-com/

From what I gather from “reading the internet”, merchants may be able to get lower processing fees by providing level 3 data. So, as always, it really is a question of money... and with high volume merchants, it maybe a lot of money.
I believe the discount for sending level 3 usually only applies to corporate and government cards. More common customer profiles for someone like staples. Not quite the target customer base for your local grocery store.

Most retail POS systems have a serial connection to a separate credit card terminal (ie. the block box you swipe you card on). Basically when its time to process the transaction the POS sends the total basket size etc. to the terminal and the terminal sends back the results from the bank. Those terminals generally can't handle Level 3. You need to use a payment gateway send all of that through the POS, suddenly the entire POS needs to be PCI compliant. This is not trivial to implement.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're trying to meet the minimum spend on a Hilton AMEX card, what is the current risk of throwing in a couple of gift card purchases from groceries and pharmacies? Obviously, AMEX cracked down on purchases from obvious gift card mills like Simon, but I can't recall anyone getting "in trouble" from throwing in a few supermarket gift card purchases. True?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
If you're trying to meet the minimum spend on a Hilton AMEX card, what is the current risk of throwing in a couple of gift card purchases from groceries and pharmacies? Obviously, AMEX cracked down on purchases from obvious gift card mills like Simon, but I can't recall anyone getting "in trouble" from throwing in a few supermarket gift card purchases. True?
Staples worked just fine for me earlier this year purchasing Uber gift cards there.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
If you're trying to meet the minimum spend on a Hilton AMEX card, what is the current risk of throwing in a couple of gift card purchases from groceries and pharmacies?
Pretty much zero. I recently MSed the entire retention bonuses on two cards in a similar fashion.

If people want to continue to spread the view that MS on Amex is dead, more power to them, but it's just not true. Just avoid obvious scorched earth like Simon/GCM and anyplace that provides L3 data like Staples.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Pretty much zero. I recently MSed the entire retention bonuses on two cards in a similar fashion.

If people want to continue to spread the view that MS on Amex is dead, more power to them, but it's just not true. Just avoid obvious scorched earth like Simon/GCM and anyplace that provides L3 data like Staples.
What do you think about 3rd party sites like Raise.com?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Staples worked just fine for me earlier this year purchasing Uber gift cards there.
I have been reviewing the purchases of VGCs at Staples or OM using either Amex Hilton and Starwood Amex. I have not gotten any points on either card for said purchases and this has been confirmed by repeat purchases.
There are DPs out there that Amex business cards still get the points for such purchases but I don't have those cards so I cannot confirm those DPs.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by radonc1
I have been reviewing the purchases of VGCs at Staples or OM using either Amex Hilton and Starwood Amex. I have not gotten any points on either card for said purchases and this has been confirmed by repeat purchases.
There are DPs out there that Amex business cards still get the points for such purchases but I don't have those cards so I cannot confirm those DPs.
Points Scrounger bought an Uber gift card, not a Visa Gift Card.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Points Scrounger bought an Uber gift card, not a Visa Gift Card.
When I see the words "earlier this year" I am a bit concerned because "earlier this year (like Feb and March), I was still able to get points from Amex purchases of VGCs at both stores.

I would be much more comfortable seeing if purchasing something other than VGCs or MCGCs using Amex personal cards still qualifies for points at OM or Staples.
I have not seen any DPs for purchases of other types of GCs at either store. I will have to go and try to see if they will or won't work.

I am in need of Starbucks GCs which I use for presents during the holidays. They will be perfect for a test run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.