Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close to UR travel redemption

Is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close to UR travel redemption

Old Jul 6, 19, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm referring to being able to redeem for 1.5x through Chase UR.

With Amex MR, is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close or exceed that redemption rate? Just want to be sure I am not missing anything
Old Jul 6, 19, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post

With Amex MR, is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close or exceed that redemption rate? Just want to be sure I am not missing anything
It is possible to come close to, or exceed that value, with the Biz Gold or Biz Plat card.
mia, levilevi, cuthroat and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:43 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I....able to redeem for 1.5x through Chase UR.

Are you reliably able to actually redeem at $0.015/point through Chase/Expedia, or do you find that the lowest prices are not offered?
Old Jul 7, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster

yes, I double check the $ price vs what chase UR offers. At least for my routes, the price isn't more expensive on UR
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
The Charles Schwab Amex Platinum allows you to cash out MR points at 1.25 cents per point. Below 1.5 cents per point with UR, but better than most credit statement / gift card equivalents in MR.
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Ehh, with travel credit like Chase, say for a 100,000 point redemption for $1500, you donít actually earn points on that amount, so thatís 4500 points that you give up versus if it was a straight statement credit, so itís more in effect 1.435%. Also, Chaseís portal prices may be higher which would even further erode that value.

Schwab Platís 1.25 is cash, so if you want to make an airfare redemption for 100,000 points, you pay $1250 in real money, earning you 6250 points, and then cashing out 100,000 points for $1250 in cash to then pay back your charge.
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:41 am
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
Ehh, with travel credit like Chase, say for a 100,000 point redemption for $1500, you donít actually earn points on that amount, so thatís 4500 points that you give up versus if it was a straight statement credit, so itís more in effect 1.435%. Also, Chaseís portal prices may be higher which would even further erode that value.
And when booking hotels, you don't earn points on the hotel stay (and if you have status, you don't get any status benefits), further eroding the value.
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:59 am

How often are you redeeming at $0.015/pt via Chase? Don't forget it costs you $150 net per year to redeem at that rate. With Amex, you can transfer to partners without holding a card with an annual fee.

Search this Thread