FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close to UR travel redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1977034-transferring-miles-partner-only-way-come-close-ur-travel-redemption.html)

WantsAmex Jul 6, 2019 4:52 pm

Is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close to UR travel redemption

I'm referring to being able to redeem for 1.5x through Chase UR.

With Amex MR, is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close or exceed that redemption rate? Just want to be sure I am not missing anything

nall Jul 6, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by WantsAmex (Post 31276338)

With Amex MR, is transferring to a miles partner the only way to come close or exceed that redemption rate? Just want to be sure I am not missing anything

It is possible to come close to, or exceed that value, with the Biz Gold or Biz Plat card.

mia Jul 6, 2019 8:43 pm

I....able to redeem for 1.5x through Chase UR.

Are you reliably able to actually redeem at $0.015/point through Chase/Expedia, or do you find that the lowest prices are not offered?

WantsAmex Jul 7, 2019 9:12 am

yes, I double check the $ price vs what chase UR offers. At least for my routes, the price isn't more expensive on UR

Adelphos Jul 12, 2019 8:23 am

The Charles Schwab Amex Platinum allows you to cash out MR points at 1.25 cents per point. Below 1.5 cents per point with UR, but better than most credit statement / gift card equivalents in MR.

matrixwalker2012 Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am

Ehh, with travel credit like Chase, say for a 100,000 point redemption for $1500, you don’t actually earn points on that amount, so that’s 4500 points that you give up versus if it was a straight statement credit, so it’s more in effect 1.435%. Also, Chase’s portal prices may be higher which would even further erode that value.

Schwab Plat’s 1.25 is cash, so if you want to make an airfare redemption for 100,000 points, you pay $1250 in real money, earning you 6250 points, and then cashing out 100,000 points for $1250 in cash to then pay back your charge.

ChrisFlyer66 Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 (Post 31296534)
Ehh, with travel credit like Chase, say for a 100,000 point redemption for $1500, you don’t actually earn points on that amount, so that’s 4500 points that you give up versus if it was a straight statement credit, so it’s more in effect 1.435%. Also, Chase’s portal prices may be higher which would even further erode that value.

And when booking hotels, you don't earn points on the hotel stay (and if you have status, you don't get any status benefits), further eroding the value.

Troopers Jul 12, 2019 9:59 am

How often are you redeeming at $0.015/pt via Chase? Don't forget it costs you $150 net per year to redeem at that rate. With Amex, you can transfer to partners without holding a card with an annual fee.