Gold Card vs. Platinum Card Points Earned

Old Jul 4, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Gold Card vs. Platinum Card Points Earned

Do I understand correctly that the gold card earns more points than the platinum card for categories such as supermarkets and restaurants? Is there a chart that compares the earning opportunities between the gold and platinum cards?

I don't travel internationally anymore so I'm not sure that I should stay with the platinum card. The airline credit is not useful to me. Bought gift cards. I tried to use it for UA for travel for husband and me. Was told that I would have to separate reservations to use UA gift cardfor me. Could not apply to travel with more than one traveler. Same with AA.

Been a member since 1977. Maybe time to change cards.
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Basically (without getting into the benefits side of the equation) the MR points earning structure comparison is:

Gold - 4x MR points on restaurants and grocery stores. 3x MR points on flights booked directly with the airlines or on AMEXtravel.com. 1x MR points for everything else.

Plat - 5x MR points on flights booked directly with the airlines or with AMEX travel. 5x MR points on hotels booked with AMEX travel. 1x MR points for everything else.
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:08 am

I think Amex wants you to have both.
Gasolin likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by 3sgtekb View Post
Which is not a bad combo if you either a) buy a lot of plane tickets or b) value the plat benefits. The gold is a good way to build MR.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Oh, absolutely. There is a reason why they seem to refuse to add a dining bonus to the Platinum card. I know if they did, I would drop the Gold in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs View Post
Oh, absolutely. There is a reason why they seem to refuse to add a dining bonus to the Platinum card. I know if they did, I would drop the Gold in a heartbeat.
I have both csr and business plat. Somehow Id rather hold these two than gold and plat. Is that weird?
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

I have both csr and business plat. Somehow I’d rather hold these two than gold and plat. Is that weird?
Not really - I hold all three

Amex Plat for benefits, 5x on airfare
Amex Gold for restaurant and grocery spend
CSR for travel spend (and some occasional restaurant spend)

Living in NYC, my travel spend is Uber, taxis, and subway, so getting 3x back on that from CSR is worth it by itself

If it weren't for the credit on all of these cards, it wouldn't make sense to hold them all, but the credits all work very well for me, so I plan to keep all three

Honestly though, if you have an Amex Platinum and are invested in any way in Membership Rewards, Amex Gold is really a no brainer as a companion card, especially if you value the credits
ESpen36 likes this.

Search this Thread