Corporate Card / Membership Rewards changed?

Old Jun 29, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Corporate Card / Membership Rewards changed?

Hello Friends,

I received a letter from Amex dated June 21, 2019 informing me of changes to the MR program. The wording was a bit unclear so I thought I'd check here with you all and see if anyone knew more. The letter stated they are removing the option for a basic business cardmember to allow additional business card members to have their own MR account.

My situation: my employer recently required everyone who travels for work to sign up for a Corp Amex. They said we could enroll in MR for the corp card and keep the points for personal use. Does this letter mean that my Corp MR account will be canceled? That's how I'm interpreting it. Anyone here received the same letter or know more about this change?
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:27 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Business and Corporate cards are different products. Which do you have now?
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I have a corporate green card through my employer. The letter from amex referenced the last 5 digits of that card, so I'm assuming it's the corporate card. The other amex cards i have are a plat and an spg amex, but those are both personal cards.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:17 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

This paragraph applies to Business cards, not to Corporate cards:

We will be cancelling existing Additional Membership Rewards program accounts held by Additional Business Card Members. Enrolled Additional Business Card Members will have until October 31, 2019, to redeem accumulated points. All Additional Business Card Members who currently have their own additional program account will receive notification regarding the cancellation of their account. Beginning September 28, 2019, purchases charged on Additional Business Cards will earn points for the Basic Business Card Member's program account.
Corporate cards may, or may not earn Membership Rewards. That's determined by your employer's contact with American Express. There also may be a fee to earn points with a Corporate card, but (near as I can tell) it's not affected by the change Business accounts.
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wow, I knew that was allowed on corporate cards but I had no idea that was even offered as an option on business cards...
Old Jun 30, 19, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It's odd that I would receive a letter if it didn't apply to me since I have a Corp Amex and not a Business Amex. Shouldn't Amex know the difference? I figure since they spent the money to send a physical letter in the mail, it would be an unnecessary expense. oh well....guess I'm good
Old Jun 30, 19, 5:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by juanvaldez View Post
.... It's odd that I would receive a letter if it didn't apply to me....
Was this the only change mentioned in your letter?

Search this Thread