Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free "Freebird" Flight Rebooking for (Business?) Platinum Cardholders

Old Jun 24, 19, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum

I just bought a ticket (AA DCA-ORD-SNA, in first) on amextravel.com using my Business Platinum card, for the 5x points, like I normally do. I was offered to opt-in to "Freebird" on a complimentary basis for the flight. I saw no downside so I did.

The wording of the pop-up window made it sound like a short-term trial, but ff this becomes a regular offering, it would provide significant value. The only reason that I sometimes use my Citi Exec AA card (earning only 2x AA instead of 5x Amex) is when I perceive a high risk of flight delay or cancellation and want the Citi card's trip delay benefits. But even those aren't great compared to what Freebird seems to offer ("missed connection" insurance seems nearly impossible to find in a credit card -- would love to be proved wrong on that).

Anyhow, hadn't seen anything posted here so I thought I'd give a heads up about this apparent trial/promo offer.

One note, I emailed to ask whether the rebooking protection was in first class for first class tickets and got this reply:

Thank you for reaching out! We understand your original ticket may be in a premium cabin class, but for the duration of our pilot with American Express, all Freebird rebookings occur in the economy cabin, by default.

We understand if you’d prefer to pursue a flight with a premium cabin class seat on your own. If you do choose to utilize our service, the new ticket will be at no cost to you and we’ll seek a refund on your behalf for your original, unused ticket.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Warmly,
Freebird Support
Old Jun 24, 19, 10:31 am

Do you know if you can pay the different to get back into First Class?
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:20 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Thanks for sharing. If rolled out beyond the trial, this could definitely be of value to some cardholders. Apparently the pay as you go price for this service/insurance starts at $19 one way.

I personally would prefer travel delay insurance that would cover expenses while waiting for my operating airline's reaccomodated flight, but for those who can't or don't necessary want to wait until potentially the next day, as seems to happen so often now, this could be very attractive.
Old Jun 27, 19, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
Do you know if you can pay the different to get back into First Class?
Evidently they just book a plain-jane revenue ticket (I don't think they use basic economy), so if you had status then you could potentially get upgraded to first. And regardless of status you could almost certainly pay the airline directly the difference, though it would likely be a pretty expensive last-minute fare.
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:59 am

Believe OP's Citi AA card is affected by the recent Citi change (strip all insurance/delay coverage from all cards)

Citi prestige had offered some form of get-you-a-new-ticket.insurance, but under very limited circumstances (and would be gone with the recent Citi change)
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Believe OP's Citi AA card is affected by the recent Citi change (strip all insurance/delay coverage from all cards)

Citi prestige had offered some form of get-you-a-new-ticket.insurance, but under very limited circumstances (and would be gone with the recent Citi change)
Hadn't heard, thanks for heads up

Search this Thread