Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free "Freebird" Flight Rebooking for (Business?) Platinum Cardholders

Old Jun 24, 19, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir

I just bought a ticket (AA DCA-ORD-SNA, in first) on amextravel.com using my Business Platinum card, for the 5x points, like I normally do. I was offered to opt-in to "Freebird" on a complimentary basis for the flight. I saw no downside so I did.

The wording of the pop-up window made it sound like a short-term trial, but ff this becomes a regular offering, it would provide significant value. The only reason that I sometimes use my Citi Exec AA card (earning only 2x AA instead of 5x Amex) is when I perceive a high risk of flight delay or cancellation and want the Citi card's trip delay benefits. But even those aren't great compared to what Freebird seems to offer ("missed connection" insurance seems nearly impossible to find in a credit card -- would love to be proved wrong on that).

Anyhow, hadn't seen anything posted here so I thought I'd give a heads up about this apparent trial/promo offer.

One note, I emailed to ask whether the rebooking protection was in first class for first class tickets and got this reply:

Thank you for reaching out! We understand your original ticket may be in a premium cabin class, but for the duration of our pilot with American Express, all Freebird rebookings occur in the economy cabin, by default.

We understand if you’d prefer to pursue a flight with a premium cabin class seat on your own. If you do choose to utilize our service, the new ticket will be at no cost to you and we’ll seek a refund on your behalf for your original, unused ticket.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Warmly,
Freebird Support
Old Jun 24, 19, 11:31 am

Do you know if you can pay the different to get back into First Class?
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:20 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Thanks for sharing. If rolled out beyond the trial, this could definitely be of value to some cardholders. Apparently the pay as you go price for this service/insurance starts at $19 one way.

I personally would prefer travel delay insurance that would cover expenses while waiting for my operating airline's reaccomodated flight, but for those who can't or don't necessary want to wait until potentially the next day, as seems to happen so often now, this could be very attractive.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
Do you know if you can pay the different to get back into First Class?
Evidently they just book a plain-jane revenue ticket (I don't think they use basic economy), so if you had status then you could potentially get upgraded to first. And regardless of status you could almost certainly pay the airline directly the difference, though it would likely be a pretty expensive last-minute fare.
Old Jun 28, 19, 9:59 am

Believe OP's Citi AA card is affected by the recent Citi change (strip all insurance/delay coverage from all cards)

Citi prestige had offered some form of get-you-a-new-ticket.insurance, but under very limited circumstances (and would be gone with the recent Citi change)
Old Jun 28, 19, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Believe OP's Citi AA card is affected by the recent Citi change (strip all insurance/delay coverage from all cards)

Citi prestige had offered some form of get-you-a-new-ticket.insurance, but under very limited circumstances (and would be gone with the recent Citi change)
Hadn't heard, thanks for heads up
Old Oct 24, 19, 12:42 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Only Limited Amex Travel Trial Certain Days of Month

I specifically booked a flight with my personal Amex Platinum using Amex Travel online booking tool so that I could get Freebird covered by Amex. I have been a Freebird customer via self pay before, and have had very good luck and results with the service.

There was no opt in for Freebird that I found either during checkout, on the trip confirmation, in the trip email, or when I pulled up my existing tirp itinerary on Amex Travel.

I contacted both Freebird support and Amex Platinum Travel Services.

Freebird indicated that this is still a pilot, and that apparently, the opt in is only presented to Amex Platinum cardholders during certain random days or periods each month.

The Amex associate I spoke with had not worked with Freebird before, but she read some internal documentation that the pax must opt in to Freebird during some part of the chekcout process. She gave me a telephone number for Freebird thinking they could assist, but when I called they just reiterated this limited trial where whether or not you are presented with an opt in is random and unpredictable.

Or, they don't release (or front line reps do not know) the particular days of the month when Freebird is offered to Amex Travel Platinum cardmembers.

So apparently you would have to go through the Amex booking flow and see if you are presented with an opt in for Freebird on any given date, and you may or may not get the opt in.
Old Dec 8, 19, 12:08 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
At what point during the booking process do you get the offer? Before or after payment? Also, aren't these tickets actually issued and supported by Expedia and not Amex Travel like they are over the phone?
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
At what point during the booking process do you get the offer? Before or after payment? Also, aren't these tickets actually issued and supported by Expedia and not Amex Travel like they are over the phone?
I just booked a trip on the amextravel site using points from my personal Platinum card. After selecting seats, I was sent to a confirmation page where the Freebird optin was presented. It stated that Freebird was an limited-time introductory service that was included in the Platinum card benefits. It didn't say anything about this being a random service, so I can't confirm it that info is valid. I read that Amex and Citi both made investments in Freebird during development. That's all I know.
Old Dec 9, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Forumfiend View Post
I just booked a trip on the amextravel site using points from my personal Platinum card. After selecting seats, I was sent to a confirmation page where the Freebird optin was presented. It stated that Freebird was an limited-time introductory service that was included in the Platinum card benefits. It didn't say anything about this being a random service, so I can't confirm it that info is valid. I read that Amex and Citi both made investments in Freebird during development. That's all I know.
Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 9, 19, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I suspect that Freebird would be most valuable for those traveling on airlines that don't protect on other carriers, like Allegiant, Frontier, JerBlue, Southwest, and Spirit, especially on routes where the particular carrier only offers one or two flights per day -- or per week!
Old Dec 9, 19, 1:36 pm

I just attempted several bookings and was unable to get the offer on the seat selection screen where the insurance option is shown. I only saw paid insurance. :-(

Search this Thread
Search Engine: