When is it safe to cancel American Express cards?

Old Jun 20, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
When is it safe to cancel American Express cards?

I currently have both the Gold and Platinum Delta - there is no real reason to have both, and I would like to use the Gold slot to apply for another Amex card. I have had the Gold card for 14 months, and I paid the annual fee already. Is it safe to cancel this card while preserving the ability to get new sign up bonuses? I have not cancelled any other Amex card. Basically, I am looking for data points of people that have cancelled Amex cards in recent months and have received sign up bonuses subsequent to the cancellation.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:03 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
....use the Gold slot to apply for another Amex card. .....
How many American Express credit cards do you hold?
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by mia View Post
How many American Express credit cards do you hold?
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
I think at least 1 year so they can't refer to their terms. If the fee is refundable keep it for like 14 months. That's what I'd do.
Old Jun 26, 19, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by crisdean View Post
I think at least 1 year so they can't refer to their terms. If the fee is refundable keep it for like 14 months. That's what I'd do.
Can you elucidate? You mean even after 2 months into the yearly fee, they will give a refund? Just partial?
Old Jun 27, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
I got this from here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...ee-first-year/
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:18 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by crisdean View Post
I got this from here: ....
Problem is that American Express policies are not the same worldwide. USA refund policy is discussed here:

Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I was able to safely cancel my 15 month old Delta Gold and apply for the Delta Reserve and get the sign up bonus. I do spend on all of my AMEX cards

Search this Thread