Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a cap on the amount for using amex pay or other contactless apps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i think that i've used my phone to pay for something once, just to try it. if i am going to "tap" my card, i find that easier than getting my phone, turning it on, etc. i just never got into the habit.
but now something has me wondering. the limit here for "tapping" is CAD 100. Any amount over that requires one to insert the card into the terminal and enter your PIN.
my question is whether or not that limit applies to using one's phone to tap on the terminal. maybe i would use my phone if i could just tap for purchases over $100 with it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Would you be using Apple Pay, Google Pay or ?

This article from 2017 (when Google Pay was called Android Pay) mentions additional security step for transactions over $100, but they are still made with the phone:

The platform’s maximum payment limit is $100 for tap and go payments. For transactions over $100 users are required to unlock Android Pay. Google says that Android Pay’s maximum spend limit is set by your bank’s credit card limit.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i think that i've used my phone to pay for something once, just to try it. if i am going to "tap" my card, i find that easier than getting my phone, turning it on, etc. i just never got into the habit.
but now something has me wondering. the limit here for "tapping" is CAD 100. Any amount over that requires one to insert the card into the terminal and enter your PIN.
my question is whether or not that limit applies to using one's phone to tap on the terminal. maybe i would use my phone if i could just tap for purchases over $100 with it.
I used my Apple Pay for a $2700 charge at my car dealership. Even the salesperson was surprised it worked. That triggered my $20 rebate offer (spend $50, get $5 back X 4 on Apple Pay).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Would you be using Apple Pay, Google Pay or ?

This article from 2017 (when Google Pay was called Android Pay) mentions additional security step for transactions over $100, but they are still made with the phone:
either google pay or amex pay. i was just curious about the number of steps and what people's experiences have been.

Originally Posted by margarita girl

I used my Apple Pay for a $2700 charge at my car dealership. Even the salesperson was surprised it worked. That triggered my $20 rebate offer (spend $50, get $5 back X 4 on Apple Pay).
wow. interesting. so did you have to unlock the app or authenticate in any way?

does one have to unlock the phone to tap?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
wow. interesting. so did you have to unlock the app or authenticate in any way?

does one have to unlock the phone to tap?
Every time you use Apple Pay, you have to authorize the transaction with either fingerprint or face recognition depending on which phone you have (doesn't matter if it's a $2 or $2000 charge), but that's all there is to it.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Every time you use Apple Pay, you have to authorize the transaction with either fingerprint or face recognition depending on which phone you have (doesn't matter if it's a $2 or $2000 charge), but that's all there is to it.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.
thanks. that's exactly what i was wondering.

my conclusion is that for amounts under $100, pulling out my wallet, taking out the card, tapping it and putting it away is easier than doing it with the phone. for amounts over $100, it would probably be about the same.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:05 pm

Every time you use Apple Pay, you have to authorize the transaction with either fingerprint or face recognition
*not for express transit w/ Apple pay. though it's probably hard to rack up $100 in transit charges, except maybe in japan's shinkansen where they do accept suica

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209495

With Express Transit mode enabled, you don't have to validate with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode when you pay for rides with Apple Pay on your iPhone and Apple Watch. And you don't need to wake or unlock your device, or open an app.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
I have not encountered any problems with large purchases using Samsung Pay (Amex card).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
thanks. that's exactly what i was wondering.

my conclusion is that for amounts under $100, pulling out my wallet, taking out the card, tapping it and putting it away is easier than doing it with the phone. for amounts over $100, it would probably be about the same.
For Google Pay, you might be able to tap the phone without unlocking it for smaller purchases as mentioned above. However, this likely depends on the country/card; US devices/banks always require unlock, for instance, at least the ones I've tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.