Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does AmEx conduct another hard inquiry for reinstating a closed account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I can't seem to find the correct answer to this question. The customer service reps didn't know if it was going to be a soft or hard inquiry. One rep even said that there was a $25 reinstatement fee.
I recently closed my SPG card but decided to have it reopened to take advantage of the free night certificate. But, during the phone call to reinstatement, it sounded like I was going through a brand new application. I have no other AmEx cards, so perhaps it is going to be a brand new application? Does anyone know?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

You have to ask them before you proceed with giving them the information. A sample question would be something like this: "Will you be doing a hard or soft credit pull in order to proceed with the card reinstatement?" I believe it is a soft pull only if within 30 days, but I haven't done an Amex reinstatement in several years.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
You have to ask them before you proceed with giving them the information. A sample question would be something like this: "Will you be doing a hard or soft credit pull in order to proceed with the card reinstatement?" I believe it is a soft pull only if within 30 days, but I haven't done an Amex reinstatement in several years.
I asked them, and the reps weren't sure.
I found this site that has some data points that indicate not hard pull us done, but they are not recent and dont indicate whether the cardholder has other active AmEx cards.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-issuers-will-reopen-closed-credit-card/#Amex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.