Pre-approved for Amex Blue Business +

Old Jun 10, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Pre-approved for Amex Blue Business +

SO has an offer on the Amex site for the Blue Business Plus and it says "pre-approved". We tried to get this card about 6 months ago (I have one already and use it for our go-to card for everyday spend) but got turned down with the new screen that pops up telling you you aren't going to get it. Kind of ironic now to get this offer right on the main page of the Amex account. Reading online, even though it says "pre-approved", it seems that this is not necessarily guaranteed...is that right?
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:43 am

Are you sure that the pop up you wasn't telling you that you were not getting the bonus and not the card? I'm thinking that the pop up is related to the bonus and not about actual card approval. You can always just try again through this pre-approval link as you have nothing to lose. If you get he pop up about the bonus again you can just cancel the application before they pull your credit or anything.
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
Are you sure that the pop up you wasn't telling you that you were not getting the bonus and not the card? I'm thinking that the pop up is related to the bonus and not about actual card approval. You can always just try again through this pre-approval link as you have nothing to lose. If you get he pop up about the bonus again you can just cancel the application before they pull your credit or anything.
No, this was not during a card app and it wasn't a pop-up. I was just looking at the account and there was a note at the top right above the account balance info saying we had been preapproved for the Business Blue Plus card. When I click on it, a page opens and it says "You have been pre-approved for the Amex Blue Business Plus card." The bonus is 20.000 points for $3000 spend.
My question is not about whether or not we'd get the bonus (SO has never had this card, so we should get the bonus), but since I HAD gotten the notice during application last time saying we wouldn't be approved for the card (and I stopped the app), does this "pre-approved" notice now mean that we would be approved now?

Last edited by fredc84; Jun 11, 19 at 7:01 am
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:00 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84 View Post
....notice during application last time saying we wouldn't be approved for the card,....
I am not aware of this feature, only a pop-up that tells you that are not eligible for a bonus. If you apply, and are not approved, you would receive a letter through the postal service with the reason(s).
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I am not aware of this feature, only a pop-up that tells you that are not eligible for a bonus. If you apply, and are not approved, you would receive a letter through the postal service with the reason(s).
You know what, I guess you're right. It wasn't not approved...it was "too many" Amex cards. From Frequent-miler: "A similar pop-up is being reported for those who have opened “too many” Amex cards. If that is the case and Amex intends to deny the welcome offer."
I guess I was mis-remembering and thinking the card would be denied, but now it's just the bonus. So, I guess, even though we have the same number of Amex cards as before, they now seem to think we can get the bonus.
Thanks, Mia.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:21 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by fredc84 View Post
.......it was "too many" Amex cards. ...
American Express issues two types of cards. Charge cards (Platinum, Gold, Green, Plum) -and- Credit cards. There is a limit of five credit cards, personal and business combined. Read here:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:27 am
Original Poster

American Express issues two types of cards. Charge cards (Platinum, Gold, Green, Plum) -and- Credit cards. There is a limit of five credit cards, personal and business combined. Read here:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.
Yes, that I know. SO currently has 3 2 total Amex cards and had 3 when I tried to do the app before.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:35 am
mia

Perhaps you had too many recent cards?

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Perhaps you had too many recent cards?

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]
LOL, no. I've been pretty conservative with SO's credit history because, being Canadian, it's relatively thin compared to mine. Unless there is a chance that with a shallower credit history that contributed to the denial and it had something to do with all card apps (not just Amex, we've been on the AA mailer train since early last year). At any rate, I guess with the pre-approval, this is all a non-issue.
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Platinum
How easy is Amex on opening "business" cards? I'm getting the same pre approved offers as the OP, but I don't have any Amex business cards, only personal cards? Why would Amex think I'd even qualify for a business card?
Old Jun 17, 19, 2:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jn in ca View Post
How easy is Amex on opening "business" cards? I'm getting the same pre approved offers as the OP, but I don't have any Amex business cards, only personal cards? Why would Amex think I'd even qualify for a business card?
1. Very.

2. Noted.

3. Credit check.
Old Jun 18, 19, 10:31 am

Can you elaborate on point #3 ? I have been looking at when a bonus might pop-up on the BBP, but have only personal cards so far.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris View Post
Can you elaborate on point #3 ? I have been looking at when a bonus might pop-up on the BBP, but have only personal cards so far.
I 'think' he means they still do a credit check on you even though you are applying for a buisness card. You can find many websites that tell you how to fill out an app for a biz card as a sole proprietor. Apparently, Amex is one of the easiest companies to give out business cards...I know we have never had an issue.
Old Jun 18, 19, 12:48 pm
mia

I think Diplomatico means that American Express may solicit you to open a business card account, even if you do not operate a business, based on information they extract from credit reports.

Issuers want to issue business cards because they are not subject to the same restrictions as personal card accounts.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:21 am

I just got approved right away and it was pretty simple through sole proprietorship. What is Blue “Business~dxSM~ex” Plus Credit Card??

We're pleased to tell you that you've been approved for a Blue Business~dxSM~ex Plus Credit Card! Congratulations, and thank you for expanding your relationship with American Express.

Set up your online business account today and enjoy the benefits of your Card the moment it arrives. You should expect your Card to arrive in 7 to 10 days.

Search this Thread