Missed AMEX Spending Deadline. Now what?

Old Jun 9, 19, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Missed AMEX Spending Deadline. Now what?

I lost track of the date and now I think I might be screwed. My application for the AMEX SPG Biz was approved on March 8th, 2019 after I called them. I'm currently $207 from meeting the spending requirement. As of today I'm at 93 days. I just put in $550 worth of purchases to my card so it should be dated today before today is over (Eastern Daylight time). I also can't seem to see pending charges on my AMEX account. How do I view that? Am I out of luck?
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
For as much as many people rave about the legendary AMEX customer service, they usually stick to their policies with no wiggle room. I have not personally encountered this exact scenario yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they said tough
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:43 pm

Sorry. This is a double whammy. No SUB and locked out of future SUBs on this card.
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I lost track of the date and now I think I might be screwed. My application for the AMEX SPG Biz was approved on March 8th, 2019 after I called them. I'm currently $207 from meeting the spending requirement. As of today I'm at 93 days. I just put in $550 worth of purchases to my card so it should be dated today before today is over (Eastern Daylight time). I also can't seem to see pending charges on my AMEX account. How do I view that? Am I out of luck?
Did you call before posting? What did they say?
Old Jun 9, 19, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
I think it's too early for OP to call at this point. OP needs to wait for the charges that put him/her/them over the spending threshold to post and see if the SUB is awarded. If it doesn't that's when OP needs to call and verify if the SUB will be given. It may very well be that the SUB is given and this is all moot.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:08 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I usually try not to cut it too close, so I don't have any personal experience. If you are off by a few days from the date of approval, you "might" argue that you didn't receive the card and couldn't start spending until about a week after approval, so that's when the deadline should be based on. However, buried in the fine prints of the T&C is that the deadline is officially based on approval date, so you might need a sympathetic agent if the bonus doesn't post automatically.

LAX
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
No, I didn't called them yet because I was worried I might make the situation worse.
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
I think it's too early for OP to call at this point. OP needs to wait for the charges that put him/her/them over the spending threshold to post and see if the SUB is awarded. If it doesn't that's when OP needs to call and verify if the SUB will be given. It may very well be that the SUB is given and this is all moot.
So I have breaking news. I think I over-reacted and the lesson here is to pay close attention to the dates to avoid getting a heart attack over this. The 100k posted on my Marriott account earlier today! Looks like I won't have to call AMEX to sort this out, but I cut it really close. By my calculation, my last charge that would put me over the $5k line was on the 93rd day. I think I got lucky based on everything that I read so far.
Gasolin and kevin4lee like this.

Search this Thread