Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex financial statements request for Gold and Plum business cards

Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Got a letter from Amex requesting financial records for all existing Amex Business Cards. (balance sheet, income statment, cash flow, etc...) Anyone know what this is? I've already gone through an Amex Financial Review back in 2016 and passed with flying colors. Is there such a thing as a Financial Review for Amex Business Cards? All business cards are still active? Anyone encounter this before?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They may have concerns about the nature of your business. Heightened AML & anti-terrorism screening, as well as the more routine red flags, may well trip the requirement.

Sometimes it is not only the business' financial solvency, but also the nature of the business which set off alarms.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 2, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
From your posting history, my guess would be that it has something to do with your manufactured spending.
Often1, Kacee and 808traveler like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

no manufacturing spending here. Simply not worth the time for the measly MR returns. Spends are legitimate business purchases.

The letter mention on nothing of account closure other than "future credit line increase will not be consider if financial documents are not submitted to Amex".

I"m thinking of just ignoring the request as I have already have a large active credit line with Amex.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Back when I had AMEX business cards, I found the FRs completely arbitrary and with ridiculous conditions which is why I stopped using them for business. I put orders of magnitude more spend on my personal AMEX CCs and have never had an FR requested.
TheGreatMongo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo
no manufacturing spending here. Simply not worth the time for the measly MR returns. Spends are legitimate business purchases.
Large volume purchases of gift cards is typically considered MS and is certainly a red flag to issuers.
Often1, mendezka and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Does the number of cards ever trigger a FR?

There used to be a summary of what causing/triggers a FR, cannot find it now.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I had a similar request, called and agreed to send the the first page of my tax returns, it was signed by my CPA, never heard from them again.

I was not going to send them everything, they ask for, and they were understanding,
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:53 pm

I recently requested a credit line increase on my blue for business from 10k to 20k and I received that letter. I shredded it. I just reallocated some of my credit line from my Delta BC instead. I am not giving them [anything] for 10k credit line. I've been with AMEX since the 80s. The credit line reallocation was approved. I am strongly considering cancelling all my cards with AMEX. Never once did MS. All my charges are from suppliers and other businesses. This is crazy.

Last edited by mia; Jun 12, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by comptalk
....I am strongly considering cancelling all my cards with AMEX. ....
We put ourselves at a disadvantage if we allow emotions to drive our interactions with mass market companies. Their decisions are made by algorithms. Nothing they ask is based on individual circumstances.

You asked for more credit. American Express asked for more financial information. What is the specific real problem with providing the information?
gdoubleu and Steve M like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mia
We put ourselves at a disadvantage if we allow emotions to drive our interactions with mass market companies. Their decisions are made by algorithms. Nothing they ask is based on individual circumstances.

You asked for more credit. American Express asked for more financial information. What is the specific real problem with providing the information?
Simple. I do not release tax returns. Considering I was spending 20k - 30k a month with AMEX, I thought it would be better served to ask for a larger credit line so I didn't have to make multiple payments each month to pay the balance off. It's not emotional, it's ridiculous to ask a member, who's had a now 30+ year relationship with AMEX who any moron or computer algorithm can see is and has been spending over their limit and paying it off immediately needs a higher credit limit.

I have since reallocated one of my credit lines to meet my needs. However, I am in the process of moving my business spending to Chase, BOA and Capital One .
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by comptalk
....spending over their limit and paying it off immediately needs a higher credit limit.
Perhaps not. Which card do you have Blue for Business or Blue Business Plus?

Blue Business Plus explicitly allows spending above the nominal credit limit:

Expanded Buying Power‡

Enjoy increased buying power above your credit limit to make bigger purchases for your business.

The portion of your account balance that is above your credit limit is due in full each month as part of your minimum payment due. You will not incur interest charges on the portion of your account balance that is above your credit limit so long as you pay the entire minimum payment due by the closing date of the billing period in which it is due. If you do not, then the penalty rate will apply to your entire balance, including any amount above the credit limit.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps not. Which card do you have Blue for Business or Blue Business Plus?

Blue Business Plus explicitly allows spending above the nominal credit limit:
Very true. I am told I can spend around double my current limit and they will approve the charges. However, I do not want to have it appear that I am maxing out my business cards with AMEX when the utilization would be at 80% +, so I pay it down as soon as the charges hit. It's ridiculous.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by satman40
I had a similar request, called and agreed to send the the first page of my tax returns, it was signed by my CPA, never heard from them again.
During my business FRs, my point of contact at AMEX couldn't get over the fact that I didn't have a CPA.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A CPA keeps you out of trouble, mine questions things, also helped at my divorce hearing many years ago.

Well worth the price, for planning and protection.. compliance and consideration,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.