Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a new American Express card while out of the USA

Old Jun 8, 19, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to apply for an American Express card while out of the country and have it delivered to a temporary address where I'm staying? I would like to use the card to book my flight back and some additional flighs and hotel stays to satisfy some of the spend requirements.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:21 am

While the card will probably be automatically delivered to whatever address you use to apply (address associated with credit profile), you could have someone at that address send it to you. Or wait until it's delivered then call Amex to have another one sent to your temp address.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:31 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by JMWEEZ View Post
.... wait until it's delivered then call Amex to have another one sent to your temp address.
I believe there is a ten day minimum wait to ship a replacement for a new card.

Example:

Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I got the MBZ card last week. No option to get a replacement card until 10 days from issuance of the original. ....
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:00 am

Not quite the same, but I was able to get an AU card expedited to the AU's address even though the card was supposed to come to me, but never arrived. That was done within the 10 day window.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:23 am
Original Poster

While the card will probably be automatically delivered to whatever address you use to apply (address associated with credit profile), you could have someone at that address send it to you. Or wait until it's delivered then call Amex to have another one sent to your temp address.
Thanks for everyone's replies. But, how can you get a replacement card if the original one is sitting in a ups personal mailbox not activated? My only other option I guess is to have UPS send it to me.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:31 am

Lost card.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I believe there is a ten day minimum wait to ship a replacement for a new card.

Example:
So, regardless if the new card is activated, they can send a replacement card 10 days later? If so, that would work for me because I'll be out of the country for way more than 10 days. Like several months.
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Lost card.
I'll try that online after the original card is delivered, and see if I can use the temporary address. If not I'll have UPS send it to me. Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Lost card.
I have another question you might be able to to answer. Will AMEX post a tracking number on my account when the original card is sent out?

I received an email today that the card was approved. I checked online it it says UPS Standard. But, a customer service representative said it was being sent expedited, like overnight.

I'm not seeing anything that indicates it was actually sent or any tracking number. I was able to view the card number and security pin though. Haven't received any emails that indicate it was sent yet.

If I have a tracking number I'll know when it is delivered, and then I'll request a replacement sent to my temporary address.
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:21 am

They’ll give you the card number the second you’re approved. I had mine in my digital wallet immediately. If you’re just trying to book several travel legs online, you might not need the physical card right away.

Edit: Somehow missed the last post where you were already approved and got the card number and pin.

Mine was sent next day air saver with UPS but I never got tracking info. Sign up for the ups my choice or whatever their service is. When anything is sent to your address, you’ll receive a tracking update.

Last edited by Taco1933; Jun 11, 19 at 5:37 am
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
They’ll give you the card number the second you’re approved. I had mine in my digital wallet immediately. If you’re just trying to book several travel legs online, you might not need the physical card right away.

Edit: Somehow missed the last post where you were already approved and got the card number and pin.

Mine was sent next day air saver with UPS but I never got tracking info. Sign up for the ups my choice or whatever their service is. When anything is sent to your address, you’ll receive a tracking update.
Thank you for your response. So, they never provided you with a tracking number either. I have UPS my choice but I haven't received a notice yet. Thank you again.
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Thank you for your response. So, they never provided you with a tracking number either. I have UPS my choice but I haven't received a notice yet. Thank you again.
Correct, never got anything from Amex. It took them a couple days after approval to send my card. Then it popped up in my choice as a package coming in overnight from VA Beach.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post

Correct, never got anything from Amex. It took them a couple days after approval to send my card. Then it popped up in my choice as a package coming in overnight from VA Beach.
I'm hoping that's the case with mine. Thank you again! fingers crossed.
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
I have another question you might be able to to answer. Will AMEX post a tracking number on my account when the original card is sent out?

I received an email today that the card was approved. I checked online it it says UPS Standard. But, a customer service representative said it was being sent expedited, like overnight.

I'm not seeing anything that indicates it was actually sent or any tracking number. I was able to view the card number and security pin though. Haven't received any emails that indicate it was sent yet.

If I have a tracking number I'll know when it is delivered, and then I'll request a replacement sent to my temporary address.
I recently opened Business Plat and received a tracking numbers for my card and my AU's. I was hoping to get it rushed because I was approved on a Tuesday and leaving on a trip on the Friday. I chatted to CSR on Amex site and they told me all Platinum cards are sent expedited shipping and I would receive it within 2 days of shipment. I chatted to different CSRs that week to ensure it was shipped despite the Amex site not showing it had shipped. Turns out the CSR was talking out of their rear end, and the site was correct. I received tracking numbers when they finally shipped the cards. Go to your new card in your account then Account Services > Replace A Card, your tracking info will be there.
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I recently opened Business Plat and received a tracking numbers for my card and my AU's. I was hoping to get it rushed because I was approved on a Tuesday and leaving on a trip on the Friday. I chatted to CSR on Amex site and they told me all Platinum cards are sent expedited shipping and I would receive it within 2 days of shipment. I chatted to different CSRs that week to ensure it was shipped despite the Amex site not showing it had shipped. Turns out the CSR was talking out of their rear end, and the site was correct. I received tracking numbers when they finally shipped the cards. Go to your new card in your account then Account Services > Replace A Card, your tracking info will be there.
Last night after midnight a tracking number finally appeared ( yes, I was stalking my account all night), and it showed it was to be delivered today. BUT an hour ago I get a message it wasn't delivered because of an incomplete address. They left off the unit number! So,at this point it's still in limbo. I just want them to deliver it anywhere at this point so I can call and get it replaced.
I
talked to numerous CSRs too and there was only one that actually did her job last night. She correctly entered my alternate mailing address on the new card account and programmed that address for receiving all communications and cards. Tried to get that done numerous times and they all said it can't be done on inactivated cards. But, yes it can.

So, here I wait another day At this point if they could just ship it to my alternate ups box I would be happy. I'm actually not very confident that if I provided them with a foreign address of where I'm at that it would even arrive.

Edit: According to the UPS website now, they are returning it to sender. I contacted AMEX and they told me I have to wait 10 days for a replacement. But, I'll try sooner just in case.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jun 12, 19 at 9:52 pm

Search this Thread