Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive list of country-specific Amex Plat benefits

Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

Hi,

I noted in the BAEC forum that apparently an Amex Platinum will give you Fast Track security access in a few Northern European airports (HEL, ARN, GOT and MMX were mentioned https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31172362-post559.html). I wasn't aware of that perk.

Do you think we could put something together in the stickies with a Wiki of perks around the globe? Business Lounge access for Eurostar travel between London, Paris and Brussels springs to mind for example, but I'm sure there are many which I'm not aware of but could be useful to the overall FT community and beyond.

Just an idea.
--
Alex
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:20 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
....Wiki of perks around the globe?....
Do you mean features that are unique to cards issued in one country -and- are valid for visitors from other countries?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean features that are unique to cards issued in one country -and- are valid for visitors from other countries?
Yes exactly that. I had a quick look around the forum but I didn't find a thread regrouping them. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:45 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

....Maybe I'm not using the right keywords?
We do not have such a list, although there have been previous attempts to identify such. The challenge is that local residents are the most likely to be familiar with the features of their own card -but- they generally do not know if foreign cards can use the benefit.

We do know that the Eurostar benefits do not work with cards issued outside the UK.

I will add links to other threads as I remember them.

Here is one:

Singapore Amex Plat benefits with a North American charge Platinum card?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. It does seem like it's more complicated than I initially expected... I'll lurk around the forum to see if there's anything of interest and try to keep a list of my own. I'll report back if it seems of interest.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:13 am
mia

... more complicated than I initially expected... ....
It's not my intention to discourage you. Difficult does not mean impossible.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
We do know that the Eurostar benefits do not work with cards issued outside the UK.
Did this change? It was a couple years ago but I definitely got into the St Pancras Eurostar lounge using a US-issued amex Plat.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Did this change? It was a couple years ago but I definitely got into the St Pancras Eurostar lounge using a US-issued amex Plat.
I think you may have been lucky. They can also be a bit more lenient at quiet times I guess... Reading through the thread, they look at the CS number at the back of the card to determine where it was issued.

I'm a reasonably frequent traveler with Eurostar, with Carte Blanche, and it does get VERY crowded on a Friday evening in London. I've seen someone be turned away with an Amex Plat issued in the UK because it was too busy.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: *A
Access to PP lounges seems to be a universal amex benefits. Particularly useful in LHR T5.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
yep they've locked down very tightly in the past year or less.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been getting into all the Eurostar lounges for years with my US Amex Plat. Sometimes if I ask nicely, they will even let a single travel companion in too.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
I got Platinum Vibes and Tower club access in Singapore with my USA-issued Plat.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493
Access to PP lounges seems to be a universal amex benefits. Particularly useful in LHR T5.
The Brazil version of the card doesn't include PP as a benefit, nor Membership Rewards and many other. The issuer bank is cutting / worsening benefits dramatically over the last few years...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
The Israeli Platinum card is pretty lacking compared to the U.S. version (but also cheaper, at about $320 with a free AU).

Some of the benefits:
  • Hilton Gold
  • Radisson Gold
  • Access to FHR, Centurion Clubs/Amex Lounges, and Delta SkyClubs
  • Priority pass card free but entries charged (first 3 are free for the lifetime of the card)
  • Gifts 3 times a year: birthday, and the Jewish holidays Rosh HaShana and Passover (can be up to $40 in value, definitely offsets the annual fee!)
  • Comprehensive travel insurance free for up to 5 days per trip
  • Platinum concierge and travel services (supposed to be 3% discount on published airfares and 5% on hotels, I haven't really tried it)
  • Premium 24/7 customer service line (as opposed to 9:00-4PM for non-Plat/Centurion)
  • MR (of course) at a poor accrual of 40-60 ILS per point; however points can be transferred to partners (Alitalia, Delta, El Al, Flying Blue, Bonvoy, Hilton) or redeemed for a variety of activities and businesses within Israel, like 1+1 on park tickets and movies, etc.
  • Automatic statement credit discounts at over 3000 businesses in Israel (1%-10%)
  • 2.3% FX fee (supposedly can get waived with enough spend/persistance)
  • Unlike the U.S. version, this card has a preset credit limit - but it also offers the pay charges over time option.
  • Annual fee is billed monthly, not yearly and can be cancelled anytime

Last edited by moe8555; Jun 7, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by icelandman2
I got Platinum Vibes and Tower club access in Singapore with my USA-issued Plat.
Did your Vibe access include the published free drink for Plat members? And at Tower Club: any perks besides access?

I have a European Centurion, so curious to see If they let me in. Vibes looks especially nice.

Further on topic: The Dutch Platinum includes Privium at Schiphol Airport with lounges and fast track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.