Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX FHR - Screwjob on cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mia
The error was in not reading the cancellation email, and questioning this statement: Total Cost$ 966.02 Amount Refunded to Card$ 0.00 immediately. I do not know if the outcome would have been different, but I think there is a much better chance of resolution while the booking might have been reinstated or another solution found.
I debated whether to start a separate thread for this, and feel free to split it out, but the above spurred me into action on something vaguely similar, although it was air travel vs. FHR.

A few days ago I did a 24-hour cancellation of an IAP itinerary which I booked online, but called in to cancel to make sure it was eligible (I had 3-4 hours to spare but wanted to be sure), and after verifying my identity and the trip details the agent said "... so with your permission I will go ahead and courtesy-cancel this trip" and I said yes. She said the pending transaction would just drop off. Shortly received e-mail saying "Trip ID: xxxx-xxxx-Cancelled" although with no refund information.

Overnight received another email "Cancellation for Trip ID: xxxx-xxxx" (same trip number obv) and similar language:

Total Cost $ xxxx.xx
Amount Refunded to Card $ 0.00
If you cancelled your flight within 24 hours of booking, your credit card has not been charged and a refund will not be issued.
except, in the mean time the charge had moved from pending to posted which was in conflict with the part I bolded above.

Had intended to just leave it be and see what happened, but this thread spurred me to call in and be more proactive. Travel confirmed it was cancelled but transferred me to Card Services to handle the refund, and they submitted it as a disputed charge which has now resulted in a merchant credit less than a day later ^

No idea if it would have worked itself out on its own but now I can rest easier I guess...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:33 am

Similar to Zorak, but relating to FHR (feel free to split out if needed) .... there is something wrong with some parts of AmEx's IT.

I had a speculative, freely cancellable FHR booking that I ended up not needing due to a change in travel plans. The moment my plans were cemented, I went online as usual to cancel the booking, except, I kept hitting some sort of error and could not. In the end, I had to call in, where the agent also had some problem cancelling the reservation before "looking at some other system" and cancelling the reservation there.

My mistake: I never followed up to see if there was a cancellation confirmation email. I had assumed there was a delay the email, which occurs sometimes, and promptly forgot about it due to multi-tasking.

Months later, I see a charge for the property. I called the property before calling AmEx to see what the charge was for, and was told that it was for no-showing for the reservation. Fortunately, the property reversed the charge for me which they didn't have to do, but I have some beef with AmEx IT based on this and prior experiences. I even double checked my call logs to verify that I had called into AmEx in case it was my mistake.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:50 am

I have booked through the FHR website for quite awhile and have long felt that it was inferior and poorly designed, especially for a major company's website. I've learned to work with it but don't trust it and I follow-up on all cancellations by calling a phone rep (big pain). And the idea that an AmEx FHR "supervisor" is too busy to talk to a customer is ridiculous. I can't imagine what they would be "busy" with. The program has great benefits (when they are honored by a hotel) but I feel the program is simply a marketing-oriented "stepchild" of AmEx and is at the bottom of the food chain as far as support and talent go.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by JetAway
I have booked through the FHR website for quite awhile and have long felt that it was inferior and poorly designed, especially for a major company's website. I've learned to work with it but don't trust it and I follow-up on all cancellations by calling a phone rep (big pain).
Totally agree. When I call to cancel (you can book online but must call to cancel, how lame), they say an email would follow. Sometimes it did. Often it didn't.

I follow-up with a reservation lookup using the actual hotel website or app, and save or screen capture it.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
Totally agree. When I call to cancel (you can book online but must call to cancel, how lame), they say an email would follow. Sometimes it did. Often it didn't.

I follow-up with a reservation lookup using the actual hotel website or app, and save or screen capture it.
I am glad to hear we were not alone in being exposed to the unclear and misleading AMEX travel cancellation page. I can only conclude they have not changed this experience and are willfully misleading clients and defrauding consumers of their money for cancellations.

Our screenshots of the experience made zero difference to the claims department as they denied the claim twice on the same grounds. And still no call from the supervisor.... I doubt at this point the person I spoke to even put in the request. If anyone doubts AMEX quality and customer service is at an all time low, you are living in a fantasy land.

Does anyone have a number or contact for these types of issues that does not stick you right back into the same CSR queue? I don't want to go the legal/arbitration route if that can be avoided.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

still no call from AMEX. I will try again I guess.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisR
still no call from AMEX. I will try again I guess.
You won't hear from them. Try a snail mail letter to the highest person on the food chain.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
You won't hear from them. Try a snail mail letter to the highest person on the food chain.
Good news! An Amex supervisor reached out a few days ago offering a $250 statement credit via email. I explained the full situation in a reply email (as well as linking this thread) and they did an investigation and reached out to provide a resolution.

They apologized for the hassle and offered a full refund, an additional statement credit, as well as a number of membership rewards points. They also said they reviewed my call with the supervisor and agreed it was a poor customer experience and additional training was needed for the supervisor.

So in the end, once someone actually looked at the situation the logical outcome became reality and AMEX made things right. Bravo and thank you!
mia and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Good news! An Amex supervisor reached out a few days ago offering a $250 statement credit via email. I explained the full situation in a reply email (as well as linking this thread) and they did an investigation and reached out to provide a resolution.
Congrats, but I would NEVER invite a company representative to have a look at FT! This is a forum where we share tips and tricks. We don’t need to alert companies to these!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Congrats, but I would NEVER invite a company representative to have a look at FT! This is a forum where we share tips and tricks. We don’t need to alert companies to these!
-post can be deleted-

Last edited by moe8555; Jun 16, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by moe8555
And in this thread it was implied that you did MS on your cards...
Not sure what thread you are referring to, but I don't MS. Any gift cards I buy, are spent at the merchant they were intended for.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:08 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Not sure what thread you are referring to, but I don't MS. Any gift cards I buy, are spent at the merchant they were intended for.
Not you, the OP (I was just continuing your line of thought )
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moe8555
And in this thread it was implied that you did MS on your cards...
I would love for you to point out where that was implied?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:23 pm

I would love for you to point out where that was implied?
Oops, I mixed up with another thread! I'll redact that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.