Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum - new residency requirement for Insurance coverage

Old May 29, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K

Just got a note that all the insurance coverages on the Canadian American Express card will no longer be available non-Residents of Canada. Some of us Platinum cardholders move around a lot - and are not residents right now. But - we still use this as our primary card and use if for all the benefits and insurance coverage types. This includes CDW/LDW for rental car as well as Baggage and Flight delay. One has to also remember that many of us are non-residents as it is a tax strategy - but we do have ties to Canada and have a financial structure that revolves around Canada.

For me this is a 100% deal breaker to keep the card - including no longer using the Amex Platinum travel desk. I am not a low spender and I wonder why they have gone out of their way to add this requirement - after >15 years as a cardholder - for me it may have to come to an end. Are there any other of you out there - Canadian Amex Platinum cardholder and non-resident? For me I just have to really question what they were thinking - Plus - all my tickets for the next 12 months are already issued - paid for on the card - expecting the coverage - and now they withdraw it with ~90 days notice?
Old May 29, 19, 6:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Just like you try to avoid Canadian taxes, Amex is trying to avoid non-Canadians using Canadian AMEX insurance benefits.

Just apply for the Platinum card (or do a transfer) to the country you live the most.
Old Jun 1, 19, 6:03 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AE Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB
I think this is just a legal clarification. I’m a Canadian resident with a US plat, and I just assume that none of the insurances apply to me because the certificate of insurance states that it covers residents of the 50 states plus territories and protectorates.

If they had different policies under different reinsurers for different states how would they determine which one applied?

There was probably an incident and you shouldn’t have expected coverage previously so they’re making it explicit now.
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K
It's not always that simple as the Platinum Card is not exactly offered here in the same format. In Canada, none of the premium cards (Amex Plat, Diners, and the very top tier of Visa travel cards, have had a residency requirement to obtain non-medical insurance benefits.

As for avoiding Canadian taxes - residency is a matter of fact and people pay taxes where they are resident and don't choose which country to pay in. People who are out of Canada are not necessary doing so in order to avoid Canadian taxes - but that's not a point of discussion for this forum.

Search this Thread