MR points and payment in advance

Old May 28, 19, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
MR points and payment in advance

Hi,

I had a question regarding the MR points. I noticed that sometimes, when I refund an item, the merchant refunds the card and the MR points are deducted.
I find that a bit weird because for me, it's a payment, especially if the merchant refunds it because they made a mistake and they wanted to do a commercial gesture...

Nevertheless, here comes my real question. I bought several luxurious items for my wife and myself, and I usually spend 6 digits or more per year so while I do not worry too much about my "limit", I suppose that if a payment doesn't go through, I will have to pay in advance for a specific month before the period closes.

Would that mean that I would lose all the MR points because the system thinks it's some kind of refund?
That would be a big loss in terms of MR points for me.

Thanks,
G.
Old May 28, 19, 11:45 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
A refund and a payment are distinct. The refund reduces spend, and payment does not. Paying early does not reduce rewards.
Old May 29, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Thanks Mia, I am not sure how AMEX differentiates both from their standpoint but that's good to know!
Old May 29, 19, 3:55 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
....not sure how AMEX differentiates....
Nor I am, but at a minimum a refund originates from a merchant account while a payment originates from a bank account.

Search this Thread