FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AmexTravel versus direct hotel booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1971653-amextravel-versus-direct-hotel-booking.html)

bigdaddyhen May 28, 2019 12:42 pm

AmexTravel versus direct hotel booking

Not sure if this is the correct place, or if it has been answered before, but looking to book my first hotel stay with my Amex Platinum card. Because of the card, I of course have gold status at both Hilton and Marriot. I am checking prices between going through the amex travel portal versus direct through the hotel. Seems like prices are slightly higher through the amex portal, but there is the $100 credit you seem to get which offsets that some. Both seem to have room upgrade options. But through the portal I won't get any hotel points, and it seems like other things the status would afford.

What would be the scenarios where going with one option over the other makes sense, if there are any? Does it matter on the hotel or chain (Hilton Gold gets 50% bonus compared to Marriot 25% for gold)? Has anyone had more luck with the room upgrade with one option over the the other?

This will be for a Thur-Sun stay in NYC if that makes a difference as well.

MSPeconomist May 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Have you checked whether the hotel is in FHR?

bigdaddyhen May 28, 2019 1:00 pm

I am not looking to go that fancy unfortunately. It seems like there is a lower hotel collection, does that make a difference?

MSPeconomist May 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by bigdaddyhen (Post 31146646)
I am not looking to go that fancy unfortunately. It seems like there is a lower hotel collection, does that make a difference?

YES!

bigdaddyhen May 28, 2019 1:07 pm

So is my best bet figure out what hotel I want, and then come back? I am hesitant between the Hilton 50% versus Marriott 25%, but it seems like Marriott is worth more.

bigdaddyhen May 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Ok, so looking closer the $100 credit and upgrade are only on the hotel collection ones. Would these be the only ones that would make sense to book through Amex versus direct?

Gig103 May 30, 2019 12:48 am

Originally Posted by bigdaddyhen (Post 31146737)
Ok, so looking closer the $100 credit and upgrade are only on the hotel collection ones. Would these be the only ones that would make sense to book through Amex versus direct?

Probably. The long answer is "book direct unless you get a rate cheap enough to be worth sacrificing your elite benefits." At least with Hilton Gold you get a breakfast too, not the case with Marriott Gold.